[NatureNS] White-breasted Nuthatches Nesting in Our Yard!!!

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:22:07 -0300
From: Cindy Creighton <cindycreighton@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--000e0cd32ecc9a89cb04840f0f29

I'm happy to report that the White-breasteds are still coming to the
birdhouse (and going inside).  It appears that the female goes inside and
the male stays outside.  I work from home and the window of my office faces
the backyard so I can keep an eye on the birdhouse and what's going on from
about 2pm until dusk.  The bird house is in a maple tree maybe 30 feet or so
from the house, and we can take pics right from the back windows of the
house without disturbing them.  The female has been in the house for about
the past hour, sticking her head out every once in awhile.  She just came
out of the house and is hopping around on the tree branches, but she's doing
something funny.  She's flapping her wings in short spurts, while clinging
to the side of the tree.  The male is close by on another branch.

Cheers,
Cindy
Springhill, NS

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Annabelle Thiebaux <hamst@xplornet.com>wrote:

> I too am interested Cindy as I have had some here (out in East Hant's
> County) which feed here & have been around for at least a year.
>

> On 09/04/10 10:44 PM, Cindy Creighton wrote:
>
>> Thanks everyone!  I would guess that the bird house is at about 15 feet
>> high.  I'm not 100% sure they are going to nest there though.  They came
>> back today and one sat on top of the house for a few minutes and the other
>> poked its head in the hole, but I never saw either of them go into it
>> today.
>>  I never saw them carrying nesting material today either.  Maybe they
>> weren't that happy with the accommodations and are still shopping around.
>>  I'll be keeping a close eye on them though and hope they decide to stay!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Cindy
>> Springhill, NS
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Doug Linzey
>> <naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca>wrote:
>>
>>  Cindy Creighton writes:
>>>
>>>  Very exciting day today!  The pair of White-breasted Nuthatches that
>>> we've

>>> How high is the box, Cindy? I have one that the nuthatches check out
>>> every
>>> year, but it's probably too low (about 8 ft.) and possibly too close to
>>> the
>>> driveway action.
>>>
>>> Doug Linzey

--000e0cd32ecc9a89cb04840f0f29

I&#39;m happy to report that the White-breasteds are still coming to the bi=
rdhouse (and going inside). =A0It appears that the female goes inside and t=
he male stays outside. =A0I work from home and the window of my office face=
s the backyard so I can keep an eye on the birdhouse and what&#39;s going o=
n from about 2pm until dusk. =A0The bird house is in a maple tree maybe 30 =
feet or so from the house, and we can take pics right from the back windows=
 of the house without disturbing them. =A0The female has been in the house =
for about the past hour, sticking her head out every once in awhile. =A0She=
 just came out of the house and is hopping around on the tree branches, but=
 she&#39;s doing something funny. =A0She&#39;s flapping her wings in short =
spurts, while clinging to the side of the tree. =A0The male is close by on =
another branch.<div>
 class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Annabelle Thiebaux =
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">I too am interested Cindy as I have had som=
e here (out in East Hant&#39;s County) which feed here &amp; have been arou=
nd for at least a year.<div>
On 09/04/10 10:44 PM, Cindy Creighton wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Thanks everyone! =A0I would guess that the bird house is at about 15 feet<b=
r>
high. =A0I&#39;m not 100% sure they are going to nest there though. =A0They=
 came<br>
back today and one sat on top of the house for a few minutes and the other<=
br>
poked its head in the hole, but I never saw either of them go into it today=
.<br>
 =A0I never saw them carrying nesting material today either. =A0Maybe they<=
br>
weren&#39;t that happy with the accommodations and are still shopping aroun=
d.<br>
 =A0I&#39;ll be keeping a close eye on them though and hope they decide to =
stay!<br>
Cheers,<br>
Cindy<br>
Springhill, NS<br>
On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Doug Linzey<br>
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">natu=
rens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca</a>&gt;wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Cindy Creighton writes:<br>
 =A0Very exciting day today! =A0The pair of White-breasted Nuthatches that =
we&#39;ve<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
had coming to our feeders all winter have decided to nest in the birdhouse<=
br>
in our yard! =A0The bird house is high up in a maple tree.<br>
How high is the box, Cindy? I have one that the nuthatches check out every<=
br>
year, but it&#39;s probably too low (about 8 ft.) and possibly too close to=
 the<br>
driveway action.<br>
Doug Linzey<br>

--000e0cd32ecc9a89cb04840f0f29--