[NatureNS] earliest hummingbird

From: Sherman Williams <sherm@glinx.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 09:39:05 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&lt;DIV&gt;&lt;FONT size=2 face=Arial&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&amp

--Boundary_(ID_b3gQZXI8n5x18Q+8sWsKIA)

Speaking of Hummingbirds, a relative just sent me a copy of a popular
hummingbird email item that has been circulating since 2006, perhaps
you've seen it too, anyway, incase you have not seen it, here is a
link to where I checked it out.  It is interesting to think about.
They appear to be Ruby-throated. Normally one sees them chasing each
other away from a feeder, especially the male. Here they seem to be
sharing the experience.  http://www.abigailsings.com/hummingbirds/
I, too have had them land on my finger and feed; it is quite a
marvelous feeling.

Sherman

On 9/04/2010, at 3:24 PM, Angela Joudrey* wrote:

> That's a great point about the diurnal cycle. I'm going to throw
> that into a conversation tonight and astound my friends by
> appearing right some smart! I was thinking that the warmer weather
> might bring them or any other bird earlier.
>
> On another note, do pheasants have nests on the ground?
>
> Thanks
>
> Angela in Windsor
>
> On 04/09/10, Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote:
>>
>> If you look carefully at the maps for 2009 and for 2010, so far,
>> there is not really a significant difference as far as Canada is
>> concerned.
>> Last year at this time, there had been 2 reports in Canada (s.
>> Ontario), while this year there have been 4 reports.  Is this
>> significant?  I don't think so.  As far as NS is concerned, there
>> are no reports yet for 2010 while in 2009 the first reports came
>> on April 20, 22, 22, 23.  April 20 is only 11 days away.
>> Most migrating birds time their migration according to the diurnal
>> cycle (the length of the day) so just because we are experiencing
>> late spring-like weather here does not necessarily mean birds will
>> arrive here early.  Those outliers which do arrive "early", like
>> the Ruby-crowned Kinglet that Suzanne and I saw and heard last
>> Tuesday, may be more readily noticed since it was singing in the
>> warm sunshine.
>> Overall, I am sceptical that our unseasonably warm weather here
>> has any effect on the arrival timing of migrating birds.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Bob McDonald
>> Halifax

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
Speaking of Hummingbirds, a relative just sent me a copy of a =
popular&nbsp;hummingbird&nbsp;email&nbsp;item that has been circulating =
since 2006, perhaps you've seen it too, anyway, incase you have not seen =
it, here is a link to where I checked it out. &nbsp;It is interesting to =
think about. They appear to be Ruby-throated. Normally one sees them =
chasing each other away from a feeder, especially the male. Here they =
seem to be sharing the experience. &nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://www.abigailsings.com/hummingbirds/">http://www.abigailsings=
.com/hummingbirds/</a>&nbsp;&nbsp; I, too have had them land on my =
finger and feed; it is quite a marvelous =
n 9/04/2010, at 3:24 PM, Angela Joudrey* wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div =
style=3D"font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: 16px;">That's a =
great point about the diurnal cycle. I'm going to throw that into a =
conversation tonight and astound my friends by appearing right some =
smart! I was thinking that the warmer weather might bring them or any =
other bird earlier.<br _moz_dirty=3D""><br _moz_dirty=3D"">On another =
note, do pheasants have nests on the ground?<br _moz_dirty=3D""><br =
_moz_dirty=3D"">Thanks<br _moz_dirty=3D""><br _moz_dirty=3D"">Angela in =
&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca">bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca</a>&gt=
; wrote:</span><blockquote =
cite=3D"mid:5A7BCF22AC934725A77BF2E019B30C6C@desktop" class=3D"iwcQuote" =
style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 255); padding-left: 13px; =
margin-left: 0pt;" type=3D"cite"><div class=3D"mimepart text html"> =
for 2010, so far, there is not really a significant difference as far as =
this time, there&nbsp;had been&nbsp;2 reports in Canada (s. Ontario), =
while this year there have been 4 reports.&nbsp; Is this =
significant?&nbsp; I don't think so.&nbsp; As far as NS is concerned, =
there are no reports yet for 2010 while in 2009 the first reports came =
on April 20, 22, 22, 23.&nbsp; April 20 is only 11 days =
their migration accordi