[NatureNS] White-breasted Nuthatches Nesting in Our Yard!!!

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 22:44:10 -0300
From: Cindy Creighton <cindycreighton@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016e647601e658cc50483d80cbd

Thanks everyone!  I would guess that the bird house is at about 15 feet
high.  I'm not 100% sure they are going to nest there though.  They came
back today and one sat on top of the house for a few minutes and the other
poked its head in the hole, but I never saw either of them go into it today.
 I never saw them carrying nesting material today either.  Maybe they
weren't that happy with the accommodations and are still shopping around.
 I'll be keeping a close eye on them though and hope they decide to stay!

Cheers,
Cindy
Springhill, NS

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Doug Linzey
<naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca>wrote:

> Cindy Creighton writes:
>
>  Very exciting day today!  The pair of White-breasted Nuthatches that we've
>> had coming to our feeders all winter have decided to nest in the birdhouse
>> in our yard!  The bird house is high up in a maple tree.
>>

> How high is the box, Cindy? I have one that the nuthatches check out every
> year, but it's probably too low (about 8 ft.) and possibly too close to the
> driveway action.
>
> Doug Linzey

--0016e647601e658cc50483d80cbd

Thanks everyone! =A0I would guess that the bird house is at about 15 feet h=
igh. =A0I&#39;m not 100% sure they are going to nest there though. =A0They =
came back today and one sat on top of the house for a few minutes and the o=
ther poked its head in the hole, but I never saw either of them go into it =
today. =A0I never saw them carrying nesting material today either. =A0Maybe=
 they weren&#39;t that happy with the accommodations and are still shopping=
 around. =A0I&#39;ll be keeping a close eye on them though and hope they de=
cide to stay!<div>
 class=3D"gmail_quote">On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Doug Linzey <span d=
ir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens-ow=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><div class=3D"im">Cindy Creighton writes:<b=
r>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Very exciting day today! =A0The pair of White-breasted Nuthatches that we&#=
39;ve had coming to our feeders all winter have decided to nest in the bird=
house in our yard! =A0The bird house is high up in a maple tree.<br>
How high is the box, Cindy? I have one that the nuthatches check out every =
year, but it&#39;s probably too low (about 8 ft.) and possibly too close to=
 the driveway action.<br><font color=3D"#888888">
Doug Linzey<br>

--0016e647601e658cc50483d80cbd--