[NatureNS] Birding - South shore, Valley

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 10:03:24 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_00DB_01CAD7CB.E4A238D0

Had a great time birding yesterday (Thursday, April 8th).   The highlights
were:

1 Little Blue Heron - Oakland (near Mahone Bay)
1 Green Heron - The Guzzle (The Hawk, CSI)
300 ? Brants - CSI
10 + Brown headed cowbirds - The Hawk - CSI
1 Tree swallow - The Hawk - CSI
1 small swallow.  possible Cave or young Cliff - I am checking with expert
birders
5 Turkey Vultures - over and near Exit 31, Hwy 101 (French Shore)
2 male Wood Ducks - Margaretville Pond
8 Hooded Mergansers - Margaretville Pond
1 Black Scoter - Margaretville
1 Surf Scoter - Margaretville
1 Black Guillemot - Margaretville
2 Red necked Grebes - Margaretville
2 Horned Grebes - Port George -full plumage
11 Harlequin Ducks - Port George (land and in water)
No chance to check murres in Morden as I wanted to get back to Halifax
before dark.

Met Ethelena Murphy who reported seeing some blue winged teals and barn
swallows in the Yarmouth area yesterday.  No specific details available.

Two big changes in Cape Sable Island.  We can no longer drive up to the end
of  Hawk to scope shorebirds because it's now gated. However, we CAN walk up
there.  There is a new parking lot at Daniel's Head.  It's similar to the
one at the Hawk.

Cheers, liz

------=_NextPart_000_00DB_01CAD7CB.E4A238D0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Had a great time birding yesterday (Thursday, April =
8th).&nbsp;&nbsp; The=20
highlights were:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>1 Little Blue Heron - Oakland (near Mahone Bay)</DIV>
<DIV>1 Green Heron - The Guzzle (The Hawk, CSI)</DIV>
<DIV>300 ? Brants - CSI</DIV>
<DIV>10 + Brown headed cowbirds - The Hawk - CSI</DIV>
<DIV>1 Tree swallow - The Hawk - CSI</DIV>
<DIV>1 small swallow.&nbsp; possible Cave or young Cliff - I am checking =
with=20
expert birders</DIV>
<DIV>5 Turkey Vultures - over and near Exit 31, Hwy 101 (French =
Shore)</DIV>
<DIV>2 male Wood Ducks - Margaretville Pond </DIV>
<DIV>8 Hooded Mergansers - Margaretville Pond</DIV>
<DIV>1 Black Scoter - Margaretville</DIV>
<DIV>1 Surf Scoter - Margaretville</DIV>
<DIV>1 Black Guillemot - Margaretville </DIV>
<DIV>2 Red necked Grebes - Margaretville</DIV>
<DIV>2 Horned Grebes - Port George -full plumage </DIV>
<DIV>11 Harlequin Ducks - Port George (land and in water) </DIV>
<DIV>No chance to check murres in Morden as I wanted to get back to =
Halifax=20
before dark.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Met Ethelena Murphy who reported seeing some blue winged teals and =
barn=20
swallows in the Yarmouth area yesterday.&nbsp;&nbsp;No specific details=20
available.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Two big changes in Cape Sable Island.&nbsp;&nbsp;We can no longer=20
drive&nbsp;up to the end of&nbsp;&nbsp;Hawk&nbsp;to =
scope&nbsp;shorebirds=20
because it's now gated. However, we CAN walk up there.&nbsp;&nbsp;There=20
is&nbsp;a new parking lot at Daniel's Head.&nbsp; It's similar to the =
one at the=20
Hawk. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Cheers, liz</DIV>