[NatureNS] Owl Rte. 14+ Red Crossbill and Gt. Blue Heron

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 23:52:52 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_1JDmlfc79LxhfIraqfdwUg)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Charlie Kendell and I ran the Sunnybrae-Caledonia owl route tonight (Apr. 5) under ideal conditions and temp. from 13C to 8C. The route is on a paved road but we did not encounter a single car in the 3 hours and there were very few planes this evening. Same with the owls. We felt we were going to be skunked with none after 9 stops, but there was a NORTHERN SAW-WHET calling on its own at the 10th stop very near Caledonia.
We had 3 Woodcock and a Snipe on the first stop and 1 Woodcock on the second stop. Seems a bit early for the Snipe for this area.  Peepers were heard at all 10 stops and Wood Frogs on 9 stops.
The route is a poor route as it has been nearly been completely cut over the last 5 years. It is not surprising we had zero larger owls. There would be a better habitat for Short-eared or Snowy given the lack of any trees.

I had a call from Tom Baille on Sunday (Apr. 4) and he had discovered a dead Red Crossbill on the Trafalgar- Sheet Hbr. Rd. near the Sleoms L. turnoff. I had seen a handful of those while going through the Liscomb Sanctuary this winter.

Carl Canning reported a single Great Blue Heron at Caribou I. on Apr. 3.
cheers
Ken

--Boundary_(ID_1JDmlfc79LxhfIraqfdwUg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Charlie Kendell and I ran the Sunnybrae-Caledonia
owl route tonight (Apr. 5)&nbsp;under ideal conditions and temp. from 13C to 8C.
The route is on a paved road but we did not encounter a single car in the 3
hours and there were very few planes this evening. Same with the owls. We felt
we were going to be skunked with none after 9 stops, but there was a NORTHERN
SAW-WHET calling on its own at the 10th stop very near Caledonia. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>We had 3 Woodcock and a Snipe on the first stop and
1 Woodcock on the second stop. Seems a bit early for the Snipe&nbsp;for this
area. &nbsp;Peepers were heard at all 10 stops and Wood Frogs on 9 stops.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The route is a poor route as it has been nearly
been completely cut over the last 5 years. It is not surprising we had zero
larger owls. There would be a better habitat for Short-eared or Snowy given the
lack of any trees. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I had a call from Tom Baille on Sunday (Apr. 4) and
he had discovered a dead Red Crossbill on the Trafalgar- Sheet Hbr. Rd. near the
Sleoms L. turnoff. I had seen a handful of those while going through the Liscomb
Sanctuary this winter. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Carl Canning reported a single Great Blue Heron at
Caribou I. on Apr. 3. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_1JDmlfc79LxhfIraqfdwUg)--