[NatureNS] re Herald seal photo, March 23/10

Cc: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:26:00 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Sorry this is late, but almost a week ago on the front page of the
Herald was a nice photo of a "basking seal" by Tim Krochak of Herald
staff.  The caption said it was sunning itself on a dock in front of
the Dartmouth ferry terminal on Mar. 22.  It had a very light grey
pelage with scattered small blackish spots.  This colour pattern
seems to be characteristic of young or subadult harp seals, and the
face looks to me like our harbour seal, rather than the more "homely"
look of a grey seal.  I suspected it was a HARP SEAL, and Ian McLaren
confirmed that -- it was probably a yearling, and a harp seal, which
turns up along the Atlantic coast with regularity and is often
associated with ice (often up on ice floes).  The young harp seals
and, to a lesser extent, hooded seals too, often wander a long way
from the areas where the adults have their pups and are "hunted".

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville