[NatureNS] Red-br Nuthatch, Fox Sparrows,White-thrSparrow, Cedar Waxwings, and Daphne bush

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 22:06:53 -0300

Wolfville Ridge

Yesterday the  Red-br Nuthatches arrived back - the first we have seen since
last summer.  Sadly before the day was out, we found a RBNU had  collided
with the side door of our garage and lost its life. Possibly a casualty of
late sunlight reflecting images of trees on the window in the door?  Today,
Sunday, another one appeared and it was almost a second casualty but this
one managed to survive a collision with an upstairs window.  I felt very
badly about both events.

Both Fox Sparrows put in an appearance today, along with our casual visitor,
a 'tail-less' White-throat Sparrow which appears to be thriving. The
realization that a flock of  7  Cedar Waxwings had stopped to rest in  one
of our oak trees  today - their 'buzzing' caught my attention- was an added
pleasure.(a flock of ~12 flew over the house the other day).

Curious to see the progress of the buds on our Daphne bush, I was surprised
to see the buds not only  taking on a deep purple tinge but that many of the
buds are splitting open in anticipation of blooming. A little premature ?

Cheers,

Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts

 Wolfville NS