[NatureNS] Harp Seal

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:27:05 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0016e6d7e68192748604826b33af

About a month and a half ago, Tom Kavanaugh and Stephen Bushell brought me a
Harp Seal that had died on a beach in Canso after having being basically
moribund for at least two days (thanks again, guys!). This was a new
addition to our collection so I decided to keep the entire skeleton. I
pulled the animal out of the freezer last Friday so my anatomy students and
I could have a good review of most of the systems this afternoon.

We were very fortunate to have cameo appearances by parasitologist Dr.
Gwyneth Jones of SMU and Curator of Zoology, Andrew Hebda of the NS Museum
of Natural History, who both contributed to the afternoon's lesson. Gwyneth
kept taking organs from the seal as I was finished with them, and with some
of the students, extracted nematodes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nematoda)
and acanthocephalans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acanthocephala). One
student in particular had a great time slicing through the very long, small
intestine and found most of the parasites.

Unlike most of the animals I work with in the lab, I am reasonably sure of
the cause of death of this seal. Prior to searching for stomach parasites, I
noticed a bulge in the junction between the stomach and intestine; there is
a sphincter there, the pyloric sphincter, which controls the release of food
from the stomach to the small intestine. The bulge seemed bigger than if it
was just the sphincter, so I was hoping for lots of worms. There were.

And two plastic bottle caps firmly lodged in the sphincter. A 100 kg animal,
killed by 20 g of plastic clogging its digestive system.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--0016e6d7e68192748604826b33af

About a month and a half ago, Tom Kavanaugh and Stephen Bushell brought me =
a Harp Seal that had died on a beach in Canso after having being basically =
moribund for at least two days (thanks again, guys!). This was a new additi=
on to our collection so I decided to keep the entire skeleton. I pulled the=
 animal out of the freezer last Friday so my anatomy students and I could h=
ave a good review of most of the systems this afternoon.<div>

logist Dr. Gwyneth Jones of SMU and Curator of Zoology, Andrew Hebda of the=
 NS Museum of Natural History, who both contributed to the afternoon&#39;s =
lesson. Gwyneth kept taking organs from the seal as I was finished with the=
m, and with some of the students, extracted nematodes (<a href=3D"http://en=
.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nematoda">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nematoda</a>) an=
d acanthocephalans (<a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acanthocephala"=
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acanthocephala</a>). One student in particula=
r had a great time slicing through the very long, small intestine and found=
 most of the parasites.</div>

 sure of the cause of death of this seal. Prior to searching for stomach pa=
rasites, I noticed a bulge in the junction between the stomach and intestin=
e; there is a sphincter there, the pyloric sphincter, which controls the re=
lease of food from the stomach to the small intestine. The bulge seemed big=
ger than if it was just the sphincter, so I was hoping for lots of worms. T=
here were.</div>