[NatureNS] Eastern Painted Turtle- Sullivan's Pond, Dartmouth

From: Pat McKay <ah205@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 12:29:25 +1000
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--00163628536289e5d70482465ad0

Hello Gayle and others,

I have been seeing turtles in Sullivan's Pond for many years now - never
very many, I think the most I've seen together has been three. On warm sunny
days in late Spring they can usually be found  on rocks as Gayle describes.
This does seem early for them however.

Pat McKay

On 21 March 2010 06:18, Gayle MacLean <duartess2003@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>  Today, on this 1st day of Spring, as I and my Springer, 'Dash' took a
> leisurely 2 hour walk in this glorious weather, I saw something odd atop a
> rock close to the island in Sullivan's Pond, that is close to Hawthorn St.
> Not having my binoculars, I just wasn't sure if it was a piece of wood or
> what. The water level at the pond has been lowered somewhat, making it
> accessible to go onto the island. So dog & I made our way onto the island
> and over to the edge closest to the rock.
> Low and behold it was a turtle, sunning itself! I know it has been reported
> that turtles have been known to be in Sullivan's Pond over the years but
> this is the first time I have ever seen on! I had a good look at it and when
> I got home I checked my book, 'Amphibians and Reptiles of Nova Scotia'. by
> John Gilpin and from what I could tell, it is an Eastern Painted Turtle.
> What an absolute treat! Made my day!!
>
> Gayle MacLean
> Dartmouth
>

> ------------------------------
> Looking for the perfect gift?* Give the gift of Flickr!*<http://www.flickr.com/gift/>

--00163628536289e5d70482465ad0

Hello Gayle and others,<br><br>I have been seeing turtles in Sullivan&#39;s=
 Pond for many years now - never very many, I think the most I&#39;ve seen =
together has been three. On warm sunny days in late Spring they can usually=
 be found=C2=A0 on rocks as Gayle describes. This does seem early for them =
however.<br>

 Gayle MacLean <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:duartess2003@yahoo.c=
l_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0p=
t 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

e=3D"font-family: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font=
-weight: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-size-adjus=
t: inherit; font-stretch: inherit;" valign=3D"top">

&#39; took a leisurely 2 hour walk in this glorious weather, I saw somethin=
g odd atop a rock=C2=A0close to the island in Sullivan&#39;s Pond, that is=
=C2=A0close to Hawthorn St. Not having my binoculars, I just wasn&#39;t sur=
e if it was a piece of wood or what. The water level at the pond has been l=
owered somewhat, making it accessible to go onto the island. So dog &amp; I=
 made our way onto the island and over to the edge closest to the rock.</di=
v>

orted that turtles have been known to be in Sullivan&#39;s Pond over the ye=
ars but this is the first time I have ever seen on! I had a good look at it=
 and when I got home I checked my book,=C2=A0&#39;Amphibians and Reptiles o=
f Nova Scotia&#39;. by John Gilpin and from what I could tell, it is an Eas=
tern Painted Turtle.</div>

      <hr size=3D"1">
Looking for the perfect gift?<a href=3D"http://www.flickr.com/gift/" target=

--00163628536289e5d70482465ad0--