[NatureNS] Poss. Black Swallowtail?

Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 19:15:12 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>

normal;
>While in my garden today a black butterfly with yellow on the
>trailing edge of its wings flew past. It was on the other side of my
>bed so I didn't get a great look at it. I am no expert on these
>matters and a quick search of poss. candidates turned up the Black
>Swallowtail as one. What else could it have been? It seems early for
>any butterfly.

It was most likely a Mourning Cloak, Ian. They're dark chocolate
brown that can easily be taken for black and the yellow on the edge
of the wings is pretty diagnostic. They overwinter as adult
butterflies and are often on the wing in mid-March...

Phil

--

Phil Schappert, PhD

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS, B3P 1J3
902-404-5679 (home)
902-460-8343 (cell)

www.myspace.com/philschappert
www.philschappert.com
www.aworldforbutterflies.com

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                        (Michael Hedges)