[NatureNS] Latent Bird Reports

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:13:23 +0000

--_628e94ac-8e4a-4999-bd83-857af4a91348_

I may as well start with this morning=2C where I heard my first dark-eyed j=
unco vocalizing on territory.  Song sparrows were everywhere in full song f=
rom the tops of trees.  I saw my first grackles in this area with two at Ro=
se Bay=2C and two in Bayport.  I had heard some at First South a few weeks =
ago.

=20

An update on the eagle nest in Dayspring.  As of March 5=2C the pair had fi=
nished rebuilding the nest.  As of the past seven days=2C there was only on=
e day that I did not see eiither one or both of the pair in the nest.  One =
of the pair seemed to be fully sitting as if egg laying has occurred or is =
about to.

=20

On March 15=2C Elizabeth Doull and I went on a bird jaunt.  My goal was to =
locate evening grosbeaks for her and we finally were successful with around=
 55 of them along the Old Harmony Road=2C which is close to Caledonia.  Oth=
er notables that we found were 10 purple finches at Mahone Bay=2C a red-win=
ged blackbird at Blockhouse which was vocal=2C a ruffed grouse along the Ol=
d Harmony Road that was strolling through a yard=2C and at the High Liner P=
lant in Lunenburg a boreal chickadee=2C golden-crowned kinglets and an oran=
ge-crowned warbler with black-capped chickadees.  I think the orange-crowne=
d warbler is likely the same one that was seen there on the Lunenburg Chris=
tmas Bird Count and has survived the winter in that area.

=20

The redhead was still with the 500 greater scaup at First South=2C but the =
flock is hanging close to Corkum's Island and makes it hard to pick the red=
head out due to distance.

=20

On March 16=2C I noted a return of lots of house sparrows in Lunenburg afte=
r a virtual absence of them over the winter.  I counted 50 plus and could h=
ear them vocalizing on territory from almost every building along the main =
street.  The largest group of 30 plus was across from the legion at the usu=
al location.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport
 		 	   		 =20
Take your contacts everywhere
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9712959=

--_628e94ac-8e4a-4999-bd83-857af4a91348_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
I may as well start with this morning=2C where I heard my first dark-eyed j=
unco vocalizing on territory.&nbsp=3B Song sparrows were everywhere in full=
 song from the tops of trees.&nbsp=3B I saw my first grackles in this area =
with two at Rose Bay=2C and two in Bayport.&nbsp=3B I had heard some at Fir=
st South a few weeks ago.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
An update on the eagle nest in Dayspring.&nbsp=3B As of March 5=2C the pair=
 had finished rebuilding the nest.&nbsp=3B As of the past seven days=2C the=
re was only one day that I did not see eiither one or both of the pair in t=
he nest.&nbsp=3B One of the pair seemed to be fully sitting as if egg layin=
g has occurred or is about to.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
On March 15=2C Elizabeth Doull and I went on a bird jaunt.&nbsp=3B My goal =
was to locate evening grosbeaks for her and we finally were successful with=
 around 55 of them along the Old Harmony Road=2C which is close to Caledoni=
a.&nbsp=3B Other notables that we found were 10 purple finches at Mahone Ba=
y=2C a red-winged blackbird at Blockhouse which was vocal=2C a ruffed grous=
e along the Old Harmony Road that was strolling through a yard=2C and at th=
e High Liner Plant in Lunenburg a boreal chickadee=2C golden-crowned kingle=
ts and an orange-crowned warbler with black-capped chickadees.&nbsp=3B I th=
ink the orange-crowned warbler is likely the same one that was seen there o=
n the Lunenburg Christmas Bird Count and has survived the winter in that ar=
ea.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The redhead was still with the 500 greater scaup at First South=2C but the =
flock is hanging close to Corkum's Island and makes it hard to pick the red=
head out due to distance.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
On March 16=2C I noted a return of lots of house sparrows in Lunenburg afte=
r a virtual absence of them over the winter.&nbsp=3B I counted 50 plus and =
could hear them vocalizing on territory from almost every building along th=
e main street.&nbsp=3B The largest group of 30 plus was across from the leg=
ion at the usual location.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />Stay in touch. <a href=3D'http://go.micr=
osoft.com/?linkid=3D9712959' target=3D'_new'>Get Messenger on your phone no=
w.</a></body>

--_628e94ac-8e4a-4999-bd83-857af4a91348_--