[NatureNS] advice for Canning area

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 13:28:37 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001636ed73947214fc0481c6198b

Hi,

Drive around the dykes near Canning, and look for Canada geese and other
waterfowl. Check the Habitant River in Canning itself - you can look over
from a small parking lot behind the Legion, and there is also a small park
at the east end of the village. Drive out to Kingsport at high tide and
scope the Minas Basin. Look out for Bald eagles and Red-tails almost
everywhere. Walk along the main street in Canning, and look into the tangles
and bushes on the south side in particular for N.Cardinals and other birds
that might visit feeders. Look at the large pond across from the Canning
arena. Check the fields along the Canning to Port Williams Rd., and then
around Saxon St. and Fred Thomas Road, near Maple Leaf Poultry, for odd
gulls in amongst the flocks of Herring and GBB Gulls. Check the Port
Williams sewage pond for Common and Barrow's Goldeneye. You're welcome to
park in our driveway (address below) and look at our feeders - we often get
Cardinals here, but at the moment we have some construction going on which
might drive the birds away. Please let my wife/ son/ dog know who you are if
you come.

That should be a start.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--001636ed73947214fc0481c6198b

Hi,<br><br>Drive around the dykes near Canning, and look for Canada geese a=
nd other waterfowl. Check the Habitant River in Canning itself - you can lo=
ok over from a small parking lot behind the Legion, and there is also a sma=
ll park at the east end of the village. Drive out to Kingsport at high tide=
 and scope the Minas Basin. Look out for Bald eagles and Red-tails almost e=
verywhere. Walk along the main street in Canning, and look into the tangles=
 and bushes on the south side in particular for N.Cardinals and other birds=
 that might visit feeders. Look at the large pond across from the Canning a=
rena. Check the fields along the Canning to Port Williams Rd., and then aro=
und Saxon St. and Fred Thomas Road, near Maple Leaf Poultry, for odd gulls =
in amongst the flocks of Herring and GBB Gulls. Check the Port Williams sew=
age pond for Common and Barrow&#39;s Goldeneye. You&#39;re welcome to park =
in our driveway (address below) and look at our feeders - we often get Card=
inals here, but at the moment we have some construction going on which migh=
t drive the birds away. Please let my wife/ son/ dog know who you are if yo=
u come.<br>

il_quote">On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Andrew Stadnyk <span dir=3D"ltr=
">&lt;Andrew.Stadnyk@dal.ca&gt=
;</span> wrote:<br>

204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">I am seeking some=
 advice regarding birding in the Canning area. =A0 I will be in<br>
the area Monday (tomorrow) while my son participates in a sporting event, a=
nd<br>
will have the day to visit. =A0I have I cannot expect to walk the Blomidin =
trail<br>
to the bluffs. =A0I have found trails in Wolfville in the past. =A0I keep h=
earing<br>
rumors of Northern Cardinals in NS but have not yet found it myself!<br>
Advice is appreciated, thanks.<br>
Andy<br>
Lower Sackville<br>
0<br><br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</=