[NatureNS] Purple finches

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:37:30 -0400

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644
Hi Billy
I do not remember Siskins at feeders this winter other than 1 or 2 with
Goldfinches on one or two occasions, but there were good numbers in the wild
where the conifer cone crop was abundant throughout central nova- especailly
Trafalgar- Upper Musquodoboit area. This area is also abundant in
White-winged Crossbills and a few Red Crossbills. The atlas data has been
improved greatly for the Cobequid region as a result with 30+ squares now
reporting breeding evidence for WW Crossbills when only a handful were
reporting in early Jan. Check out this site and click on White-winged
Crossbills to see squares reporting.
http://www.mba-aom.ca/jsp/map.jsp?lang=en
cheers
ken