[NatureNS] FW: article for your use

From: Mary Macaulay <marymacaulay@hotmail.com>
To: Nature Nova Scotia <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:15:27 -0400

--_2df05815-9c20-4330-a3e0-116e1c38277b_

=20
> Date: Thu=2C 11 Mar 2010 16:44:35 -0400
> From: CAMERODS@gov.ns.ca
> To: CAMERODS@gov.ns.ca
> Subject: article for your use
>=20
> Woodland Conference open to all that are interested in our forests
>=20
> On Saturday=2C March 27 there will be a one day conference held in Stewia=
cke on a broad range of interesting topics pertaining to forests and forest=
 management issues. The annual event=2C which is open to the public=2C is o=
rganized jointly by regional development agencies=2C Nova Forest Alliance a=
nd the Department of Natural Resources. It is one of three conferences bein=
g held across the province which rotate locations among counties each year.
>=20
> The central region conference this year will be held at the new Winding R=
iver Elementary School in Stewiacke from 9am to 3:30pm. Registration will b=
egin at 8:30am. The Honourable John MacDonnell=2C Minister of the Departmen=
t of Natural Resources=2C will open the conference. Former Woodlot Owner of=
 the Year Award winner=2C Russell McNally of Truro=2C will talk about the m=
any benefits=2C opportunities and responsibilities of owning and managing w=
oodland.=20
>=20
> Over the last few months there has been considerable discussion and debat=
e related to future protection of wetlands in Nova Scotia and possible rest=
rictions that may limit future wetland uses. John Brazner of Nova Scotia En=
vironment Department=2C as one of the chief architects=2C will discuss the =
direction of wetland protection in the province. He will speak about the ne=
w policies that are being developed for the province.=20
>=20
> Each year woodland owners express how valuable it is to hear about financ=
ial planning and tax tips that may pertain to them. Kelly Kolke=2C of Grant=
 Thornton will provide useful and practical information on these topics. An=
other popular topic relates to common wildlife issues such as human interac=
tion with black bears and coyotes. DNR regional biologist Doug Archibald wi=
ll provide an update on these and other wildlife.=20
>=20
> From the academic world=2C participants will learn from Dr. Patricia Stof=
fyn-Egli of Dalhousie University about research conducted on wildlife use o=
f riparian areas along watercourses.=20
> Dr. Ralph Martin of the Nova Scotia Agricultural College will provide foo=
d for thought on the effect of climate change on forestry and agricultural =
land use.
>=20
> Well known CBC Radio call-in show guest and wildlife biologist=2C Bob Ban=
croft=2C will talk about woodlot ecology and managing for wildlife from a l=
andowner's perspective. Peter DeMarsh=2C Chairman of the Canadian Federatio=
n of Woodland Owners=2C will present the latest developments related to the=
 many ecological goods and services woodland owners provide to society and =
whether these values should be recognized in some manner financially via ou=
r taxation system or another means.
>=20
> Andrew West=2C a forest products buyer for HC Haynes=2C will review marke=
t trends and occurrences over the past year. He will then highlight what he=
 sees as emerging opportunities for both timber and non-timber forest produ=
cts.
>=20
> One of the more controversial topics to arise in forest circles in recent=
 years is biomass harvesting. The conference agenda includes a panel presen=
tation and discussion on biomass harvesting and utilization. Jim VerBoom of=
 VerBoom Grinders and Jamie Simpson of the Ecology Action Centre will provi=
de their perspectives on the topic and invite questions.
>=20
>=20
> Registration cost is $25 which covers a hearty lunch and chances to win d=
oor prizes and the grand prize - a new powersaw. There will also be a numbe=
r of exhibitors and service providers available to participants. To registe=
r or learn more about the central conference or the eastern conference=2C w=
hich will be April 10 in Guysborough=2C call 888-375-2198 or register on-li=
ne at www.woodlotinfoshop.ca. All those that pre-register will be eligible =
to win a GPS unit.
>=20
> Don Cameron=2C RPF
> March 11=2C 2010=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
 		 	   		 =20
Take your contacts everywhere
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9712959=

--_2df05815-9c20-4330-a3e0-116e1c38277b_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>&gt=3B Date: Thu=2C 11 Mar 2010 16:44:35 -0400<BR>&gt=3B Fr=
om: CAMERODS@gov.ns.ca<BR>&gt=3B To: CAMERODS@gov.ns.ca<BR>&gt=3B Subject: =
article for your use<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B Woodland Conference open to all t=
hat are interested in our forests<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B On Saturday=2C March=
 27 there will be a one day conference held in Stewiacke on a broad range o=
f interesting topics pertaining to forests and forest management issues. Th=
e annual event=2C which is open to the public=2C is organized jointly by re=
gional development agencies=2C Nova Forest Alliance and the Department of N=
atural Resources. It is one of three conferences being held across the prov=
ince which rotate locations among counties each year.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B =
The central region conference this year will be held at the new Winding Riv=
er Elementary School in Stewiacke from 9am to 3:30pm. Registration will beg=
in at 8:30am. The Honourable John MacDonnell=2C Minister of the Department =
of Natural Resources=2C will open the conference. Former Woodlot Owner of t=
he Year Award winner=2C Russell McNally of Truro=2C will talk about the man=
y benefits=2C opportunities and responsibilities of owning and managing woo=
dland. <BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B Over the last few months there has been consid=
erable discussion and debate related to future protection of wetlands in No=
va Scotia and possible restrictions that may limit future wetland uses. Joh=
n Brazner of Nova Scotia Environment Department=2C as one of the chief arch=
itects=2C will discuss the direction of wetland protection in the province.=
 He will speak about the new policies that are being developed for the prov=
ince. <BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B Each year woodland owners express how valuable =
it is to hear about financial planning and tax tips that may pertain to the=
m. Kelly Kolke=2C of Grant Thornton will provide useful and practical infor=
mation on these topics. Another popular topic relates to common wildlife is=
sues such as human interaction with black bears and coyotes. DNR regional b=
iologist Doug Archibald will provide an update on these and other wildlife.=
 <BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B From the academic world=2C participants will learn f=
rom Dr. Patricia Stoffyn-Egli of Dalhousie University about research conduc=
ted on wildlife use of riparian areas along watercourses. <BR>&gt=3B Dr. Ra=
lph Martin of the Nova Scotia Agricultural College will provide food for th=
ought on the effect of climate change on forestry and agricultural land use=
.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B Well known CBC Radio call-in show guest and wildlife=
 biologist=2C Bob Bancroft=2C will talk about woodlot ecology and managing =
for wildlife from a landowner's perspective. Peter DeMarsh=2C Chairman of t=
he Canadian Federation of Woodland Owners=2C will present the latest develo=
pments related to the many ecological goods and services woodland owners pr=
ovide to society and whether these values should be recognized in some mann=
er financially via our taxation system or another means.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=
=3B Andrew West=2C a forest products buyer for HC Haynes=2C will review mar=
ket trends and occurrences over the past year. He will then highlight what =
he sees as emerging opportunities for both timber and non-timber forest pro=
ducts.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B One of the more controversial topics to arise i=
n forest circles in recent years is biomass harvesting. The conference agen=
da includes a panel presentation and discussion on biomass harvesting and u=
tilization. Jim VerBoom of VerBoom Grinders and Jamie Simpson of the Ecolog=
y Action Centre will provide their perspectives on the topic and invite que=
stions.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B Registration cost is $25 which cove=
rs a hearty lunch and chances to win door prizes and the grand prize - a ne=
w powersaw. There will also be a number of exhibitors and service providers=
 available to participants. To register or learn more about the central con=
ference or the eastern conference=2C which will be April 10 in Guysborough=
=2C call 888-375-2198 or register on-line at www.woodlotinfoshop.ca. All th=
ose that pre-register will be eligible to win a GPS unit.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=
=3B Don Cameron=2C RPF<BR>&gt=3B March 11=2C 2010 <BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B <BR=
>&gt=3B <BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />Stay in touch. <a href=3D'http://go.mic=
rosoft.com/?linkid=3D9712959' target=3D'_new'>Get Messenger on your phone n=
ow.</a></body>

--_2df05815-9c20-4330-a3e0-116e1c38277b_--