[NatureNS] Glaucous X Great Black-backed Gull and Barred Owl

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:52:03 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_JbBGb4HY2lXYHpsqNuPOFQ)

At this point the consensus is that the mystery gull at Sambro Harbour is a hybrid, Glaucous X Great Black-backed Gull. I've posted four more photos including a close-up study of the primaries.  The gull though not shy just sat on a post and didn't move around much when I photographed it. I confess to not noticing the dark spots under the tail.  I should use a checklist when I study a bird so I don't miss any clues and parts.

I've also posted some photos of the Barred Owl from Oakfield Provincial Park from this morning.  All the photos are taken hand held which is another lesson learned. I should have brought my tripod since I knew that I was going to be photographing owls in the deep and shady forest.

Hans

http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/March2010/0121.html
_________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com
_________________________________

--Boundary_(ID_JbBGb4HY2lXYHpsqNuPOFQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18876">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At this point the consensus is that the mystery
gull at Sambro Harbour is a hybrid,&nbsp;<STRONG>Glaucous X Great Black-backed
Gull</STRONG>. I've posted four more photos including a close-up study of the
primaries.&nbsp; The gull though not shy just sat on a post and didn't move
around much when I photographed it.&nbsp;I confess to not noticing the dark
spots under the tail.&nbsp; I should use a checklist when I study a bird so I
don't miss any clues and parts.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I've also posted some photos of the <STRONG>Barred
Owl</STRONG> from Oakfield Provincial Park from this morning.&nbsp; All the
photos are taken hand held which is another lesson learned. I should have
brought my tripod since I knew that I was&nbsp;going to be photographing owls in
the deep and shady&nbsp;forest.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/March2010/0121.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/March2010/0121.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>_________________________________<BR>Hans
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>Website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A>

--Boundary_(ID_JbBGb4HY2lXYHpsqNuPOFQ)--