[NatureNS] Unidentified Hybrid Gull(or Thayer's Gull) and Barred Owl

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:53:01 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_YDSudYfm61CbgEfH2SqD9Q)

I spotted an unusual gull at Sambro Harbour yesterday afternoon. The =
large all black bill should eliminate Glaucous Gull as a candidate, =
which was my first impression.  The closest match I could find in my =
literature was a first winter Glaucous-winged Gull, due to its flat =
topped head(clearly visible in an unposted photo), dark brown or black =
eyes, large all black bill and primary extensions that appear to be the =
same colour as the body, a significant field mark for this species.  The =
problem with colour in bright sunlight is that colours can be hard to =
match particularly greys and whites, so the primary extensions could =
actually be white.  Only a colorimeter can tell for sure. I'll try some =
side by side comparisons between the primary extensions and the body to =
see if I can match, or missmatch the colours.  Other expert opinons so =
far include mostly hybrids; Glaucous X Great Black-backed Gull, Glaucous =
X Herring Gull(Nelson's Gull), and Thayer's Gull.  I'll try to post more =
photos this evening.

I took a stroll at Oakfield Provincial Park this morning in search of =
the Barred Owl.  I found one after 15 minutes and took a lot of photos, =
almost all in total or partial shade which is a challenge for image =
quality.  I'll get some of these up this evening, as well.

Hans

http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/March2010/0115.html
_________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com=20
_________________________________=

--Boundary_(ID_YDSudYfm61CbgEfH2SqD9Q)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18876">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I spotted an unusual gull at Sambro Harbour
yesterday afternoon.&nbsp;The large <STRONG>all black</STRONG> bill should
eliminate Glaucous Gull as a candidate, which was my first impression.&nbsp; The
closest match I could find in my literature was a first winter
<STRONG>Glaucous-winged Gull,</STRONG> due to its flat topped head(clearly
visible in an unposted photo), dark brown or black eyes, large all black bill
and primary extensions that appear to be the same colour as the body, a
significant field mark for this species.&nbsp; The problem with colour in bright
sunlight is that colours can be hard to match particularly greys and whites, so
the primary extensions could actually be white.&nbsp; Only a colorimeter can
tell for sure. I'll try some side by side comparisons between the primary
extensions and the body to see if I can match, or missmatch the colours.&nbsp;
Other expert opinons so far include mostly hybrids; <STRONG>Glaucous X Great
Black-backed Gull</STRONG>,&nbsp;<STRONG>Glaucous X Herring Gull(Nelson's
Gull</STRONG>), and <STRONG>Thayer's Gull</STRONG>.&nbsp; I'll try to post more
photos this evening.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I took a stroll at Oakfield Provincial Park this
morning in search of the<STRONG> Barred Owl</STRONG>.&nbsp; I found one after 15
minutes and took a lot of photos, almost all in total or partial shade which is
a challenge for image quality.&nbsp; I'll get some of these up this evening, as
well.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/March2010/0115.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/March2010/0115.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>_________________________________<BR>Hans
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>Website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A>

--Boundary_(ID_YDSudYfm61CbgEfH2SqD9Q)--