[NatureNS] attracting beaver

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 07:28:51 -0800 (PST)
From: Tuma Young <tumayoung@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-930410506-1268148531=:50127

Hi Randy etal:

My family used to trap beavers and other fur bearing animals for the Hudson Bay Co in the 70's. As for attracting beavers, be careful of what you wish for or you might just get it.

Once the colony gets too big, the elders will give the order to have the younger ones move on.  The migrants will seek far and wide to find a suitable place to establish a new colony.  This is the time when they are the most vulnerable to predation as often they have to move on land.

Most often, the beavers will build a dam to change the ecology to suit it's purposes.  Sometimes, it does not have to and if the water is fresh enough or brackish, it will establish itself without a dam.  What shocked me once was finding out that some beavers do not build a lodge but may burrow deep in the mud banks of a river.  The key is that the area has sufficient food for it-aspens, populars, maples, willows and birch.

The sound of water will attract a beaver to the source and they will try to build a dam to stop the leak but I often thought that this was very stressful for them as they have to stop everything to try and repair the dam. Some predators, such as Bears, have learned this and will go to destroy part of the dam to lure the beavers to their deaths.

One approach is to ask DNR if they have any nuisance beavers (who dam up culverts and undermine roads) that they can live trap and release into your area.

Tuma

 Koqwaqja'tekaq'tinej.
(Let Us Choose The Correct Behaviour)