[NatureNS] Which owl?

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 14:14:12 -0800 (PST)
From: Suzanne Borkowski <suzanneborkowski@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Steve;

I'd never question the expertise of Susann Myers or Joan Czapalay when it comes to identifying owls - I've been lucky enough to go owling with both of them - but I have to say that your description of the call sounds more like the Barred Owl than the Great Horned to me.

It's funny how a written description can vary from a spoken one.  I've read yours several times now, and it sounds like the four notes of a Barred which calls in two sets of two notes: Huh-Hoo and then Hoo-Hoo with the fourth note being slightly drawn out.  The pause between the two sets is very brief. (Who cooks   for you?)

To my ear, the great Horned gives a 5 note call:  Three notes, then two notes - Huh-Huh-Huh - Hoo Hoo  (Who's awake - Me too)

Just my two cents worth.

Where in Halifax do you live?  Are you close to a wooded area?

Cheers;
Suzanne