[NatureNS] Purple Sandpipers and Director's Cut

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:35:05 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_PfHzUlZYpB6ItxZaqFUAJA)

Hi all,

After the weather people had predicted sunshine for today on almost =
every single day since the middle of last week I'd thought I'd try for =
the Purple Sandpipers at Point Pleasant Park.  The prediction was wrong =
as usual.  Nevertheless, I wandered forth and immediately found a group =
at the first cornice before the Anchor Monument.  I went back to my car =
to get my telephoto lens and carted it out to this location.  This is no =
simple thing since the lens and tripod weight 22 pounds.  Of course the =
sandpipers had moved on.  After a brief search I spotted a group of 12 =
flying towards Northwest Arm but I wasn't going to chase them with the =
outfit I was toting.  As it happens there was even a larger group, =
perhaps 18 or more, at the tip of Bald Rock, Bald Rock Beach.  Somehow I =
managed to walk right past this bunch or maybe it was the ones I spotted =
earlier near the anchor.  I took some distant photos under poor lighting =
but am satisfied nonetheless with the numbers I was able to see and =
observe as they wave hopped on the rock.

A male Red-breasted Merganser came into the cove and although an =
extremely shy bird it did pause on the rock for a brief time which =
allowed me to enjoy its beauty, as well.

I've also posted a bunch of photos after filtering through my files for =
the last couple of months of photos, my director's cut of images.  They =
are all birds you have seen already but the poses and crops are slightly =
different from the earlier versions.

Hans

http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/February2010/0142.html

_________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com=20
_________________________________=

--Boundary_(ID_PfHzUlZYpB6ItxZaqFUAJA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18876">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>After the weather people had predicted sunshine for
today on&nbsp;almost every single day since the middle of last week I'd thought
I'd try for the <STRONG>Purple Sandpipers</STRONG> at Point Pleasant Park.&nbsp;
The prediction was wrong as usual.&nbsp; Nevertheless, I wandered forth and
immediately found a group at the first cornice before the Anchor Monument.&nbsp;
I went back to my car to get my telephoto lens and carted it out to this
location.&nbsp; This is no simple thing since&nbsp;the lens and tripod weight 22
pounds.&nbsp; Of course the sandpipers had moved on.&nbsp; After a brief search
I spotted a group of 12 flying towards Northwest Arm but I wasn't going to chase
them with the outfit I was toting.&nbsp; As it happens there was even a larger
group, perhaps 18 or more, at the tip of Bald Rock, Bald Rock Beach.&nbsp;
Somehow I managed to walk right past this bunch or maybe it was the ones I
spotted earlier near the anchor.&nbsp; I took some distant photos under poor
lighting but am satisfied nonetheless with the numbers I was able to see and
observe as they wave hopped on the rock.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>A male&nbsp;<STRONG>Red-breasted Merganser</STRONG>
came into the cove and although an extremely shy bird it did pause on the rock
for a brief time which&nbsp;allowed me to enjoy its beauty, as
well.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I've also posted a bunch of photos after filtering
through my files for the last couple of months of photos, my <EM>director's
cut</EM> of images.&nbsp; They are all birds you have seen already but the poses
and crops are slightly different from the earlier versions.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/February2010/0142.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/February2010/0142.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>_________________________________<BR>Hans
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>Website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A>

--Boundary_(ID_PfHzUlZYpB6ItxZaqFUAJA)--