[NatureNS] And then there were finches...

Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:59:14 -0400
From: Jeff hiltz <4x4play@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001517511b463395c8048031ad40

Are you watching our feeders Randy?? lol... that is the exact same synopsis
that I would have given except for regular visits from two White-breasted
Nuthatches, a handful of Evening Grosbeaks (one albino last week) and a
Northern Flicker among Downys and Hairys but sadly not one single Redpoll
nor have we seen any Sparrows, Juncos or Purple Finches at our feeders this
winter. Oh,  we did have the pleasure of a visit from a small flock Snow
Buntings last week and we also noticed our Sharpie back stalking the
feeders.

Cheers!
Jeff in Springhill

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com> wrote:

> We were all (most?) a bit disheartened at the low turnout at feeders, at
> least early in the season. In the last two weeks I've gone from a fine flock
> of Goldfinches (perhaps 20, and they were my only finches) to about 110
> Goldfinches, a half dozen Purples and two Siskins. I've even added a second
> Niger feeder to handle the load.
>
> I still have not even seen a Redpoll this winter, let alone had any at my
> feeders. Admittedly, I don't do too much birding in the winter, but even in
> low years, I normally get a few Redpolls. I have yet to see a Sharpie this
> winter at all as well, though one day last week I did find a clump of Blue
> Jay feathers under my feeders.
>
> Randy
> _________________________________
> RF Lauff
> Way in the boonies of
> Antigonish County, NS.

--001517511b463395c8048031ad40

Are you watching our feeders Randy?? lol... that is the exact same synopsis=
 that I would have given except for regular visits from two White-breasted =
Nuthatches, a handful of Evening=A0Grosbeaks (one albino last week) and a N=
orthern Flicker among Downys and Hairys but sadly not one single Redpoll no=
r have we seen any Sparrows, Juncos or Purple Finches at our feeders this w=
inter. Oh, =A0we did have the pleasure of a visit from a small flock Snow B=
untings last week and we also noticed our Sharpie back stalking the feeders=
.<div>
ail_quote">On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Randy Lauff <span dir=3D"ltr">&=
lt;randy.lauff@gmail.com&gt;</=
span> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">We were all (most?) a bit disheartened at t=
he low turnout at feeders, at least early in the season. In the last two we=
eks I&#39;ve gone from a fine flock of Goldfinches (perhaps 20, and they we=
re my only finches) to about 110 Goldfinches, a half dozen Purples and two =
Siskins. I&#39;ve even added a second Niger feeder to handle the load.<div>

had any at my feeders. Admittedly, I don&#39;t do too much birding in the w=
inter, but even in low years, I normally get a few Redpolls. I have yet to =
see a Sharpie this winter at all as well, though one day last week I did fi=
nd a clump of Blue Jay feathers under my feeders.</div>

br>Way in the boonies of<br>Antigonish County, NS.<br>

--001517511b463395c8048031ad40--