[NatureNS] cyanide laced plover eggs

From: Helene Van Doninck <hvandoninck@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 15:54:48 -0400

271.1.1/2690 - Release Date: 02/15/10 &lt;BR&gt;&amp;gt=3B &amp;gt=3B 15:35:00
I have first hand knowledge with secondary poisoning of unintended species
( pesticides in songbirds, lead in eagles and loons, rodenticides in lots of
species). This strikes me as an utterly insane idea, even if you had no
concern for the welfare of the crows ( and of course I like them)....there
will be other species who will get to these eggs as well as other species
who will prey on the dead and dying crows ( wild mammals, raptors, pets).
Blows my mind the solutions that people come up with.

Reminds me a little of my first thought when I heard they were feeding
scrapie infected sheep to cows and were then surprised that the cows got mad
cow disease ( known to be related to scrapie). I hope whatever rocket
scientist came up with that idea....was fired.

I can see nothing but bad news from this decision, the crows will not be the
only species affected...sad.

Helene

Helene Van Doninck DVM
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre
RR#1 Brookfield Nova Scotia Canada B0N1C0
hvandoninck@eastlink.ca
www.cwrc.net
http://cwrcblog.blogspot.com/
1-902-893-0253