[NatureNS] Black Guillemot vs Sculpin Species?

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:19:31 -0400
From: "Sean Mitchell" <smitchel@stfx.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

Hello:

I could be wrong but my understanding is that sculpin spines are not toxic or venomous.  They are simply spines.  If we get jabbed by them we run the risk of infection but that is simply from the spine carrying grit and typical bacteria on fish.  We are not envenomated as, for example stinging insects, or biting spiders.  So toxicity is not an issue.  Many birds swallow spiny fish (e.g., brown bullheads, yellow perch, etc.) without suffering.  The spines fold down along the line of the fish and it cannot raise them.  Which is why the fish are swallowed head first.  Having said that, some spiny fish (e.g., catfish) can physically lock their spines (pectoral and dorsal) out which would be problematic for a predator.

With respect to number of sculpin - in Nova Scotia we have no freshwater species and Scott and Scott (Atlantic fishes of Canada) tell me there are 16 species of sculpin (Cottidae) in Atlantic Canada.  If you saw the bird feeding in shallow water my money would be on shorthorn sculpin, longhorn sculpin, or grubby.

Hope this helps.

Sean

Sean C. Mitchell, PhD.
Executive Director