[NatureNS] Gov press release - Province Secures, Protects More

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 07:35:24 -0400
From: Suzanne Townsend <suzanne.townsend@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: PaddleNS <paddlenovascotia@googlegroups.com>,

--00151750e6e0e838f3047fde5c17

Two steps forward, one step back?
If only "harvesting" did not mean "clear cutting."

--Suzanne, Boutiliers Pt

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>wrote:

> [...]
>  *Environment /Natural Resources*
>
> February 17, 2010 1:22 PM
>  ------------------------------
>
> NOTE: Maps of the land purchase are available at http://gov.ns.ca/natr .
>  ------------------------------
>
> The province continues to protect the environment and strengthen the
> economy with strategic land investments.
>
> Natural Resources Minister John MacDonell, announced today, Feb. 17, that
> the province has purchased 9,710 acres of land from Wagner Forest Nova
> Scotia Ltd. The most significant parcels include:
> -- 22 kilometres of continuous coastline on the Bay of Fundy at Apple Head,
> Cumberland Co., which was the largest piece of privately owned, ocean
> frontage in Nova Scotia
> -- a 950-acre parcel, surrounded by Eigg Mountain-James River Wilderness
> Area in Antigonish County
> -- a 237-acre parcel of old growth forest near Panuke Lake, Halifax Co.
>
> The land will support wilderness protection, heritage conservation,
> tourism, recreation, community use, fishing, hunting, and potential
> eco-tourism Mi'kmaq uses.
>
> "This purchase is a unique opportunity for the province," said Mr.
> MacDonell. "Coastal property is generally the most highly sought after and
> expensive land. This is a smart investment that will benefit the environment
> and provide tourism and recreation opportunities."
>
> Almost all of the $9-million purchase has been acquired to help the
> province reach its conservation goals.
>
> "We are thrilled with the opportunity to protect a significant piece of
> Nova Scotia's coast and other wilderness," said Sterling Belliveau, Minister
> of Environment. "We will be consulting with key organizations and Nova
> Scotians on these lands as part of the broader land protection process."
>
> The province's goal is to protect 12 per cent of its land mass by 2015.
> Currently, 8.6 per cent of the province's land mass is protected. Detailed
> protection decisions will be made over the next few years.
>
> Raymond Plourde, wilderness co-ordinator for the Ecology Action Centre,
> said his organization is delighted with the land acquisition.
>
> "We are especially pleased to see the large coastal area along the Bay of
> Fundy included," said Mr. Plourde. "The province owns only about five per
> cent of Nova Scotia's coastline, so acquisitions like this are rare and very
> important from a social, ecological and a tourism perspective. We applaud
> the government's efforts in this regard."
>
> The province has now invested $54 million of the $75 million budgeted for
> large land purchases and expects to make further announcements soon.
>
> To negotiate a price within the province's budget, Wagner will be allowed
> to harvest about one quarter of the Apple Head area over the next two years.
> A 200-metre buffer zone has been established along the coastline and in
> ravines, where the harvest will be limited or excluded. Special wildlife
> areas will also be protected from harvest.

span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca">soudekd@ns.=
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">
an lang=3D"EN" style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 14.5pt">Province Secures, Protects More =
<h2 style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; MARGIN-BOT=
TOM: 0pt; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none"><b><font fa=
ce=3D"Lucida Sans Unicode" color=3D"black" size=3D"2"><span lang=3D"EN" sty=
le=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10.5pt; COLOR: black">Environment /Natural Resources</span=

style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 9.5pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">February 17, 2010 1:22 PM<=
/span></font></p>
t face=3D"Courier" size=3D"2"><span lang=3D"EN" style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 9.5pt; =
FONT-FAMILY: Courier">
<hr align=3D"center" width=3D"100%" size=3D"2">
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 9.5pt; FONT-FAMILY: Courier">NOTE: Maps of the land pur=
chase are available at <a href=3D"http://gov.ns.ca/natr" target=3D"_blank">=

t face=3D"Courier" size=3D"2"><span lang=3D"EN" style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 9.5pt; =
FONT-FAMILY: Courier">
<hr align=3D"center" width=3D"100%" size=3D"2">
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 9.5pt; FONT-FAMILY: Courier">The province continues to =
protect the environment and strengthen the economy with strategic land inve=
stments.<br>
at the province has purchased 9,710 acres of land from Wagner Forest Nova S=
cotia Ltd. The most significant parcels include:<br>-- 22 kilometres of con=
tinuous coastline on the Bay of Fundy at Apple Head, Cumberland Co., which =
was the largest piece of privately owned, ocean frontage in Nova Scotia<br>
-- a 950-acre parcel, surrounded by Eigg Mountain-James River Wilderness Ar=
ea in Antigonish County<br>-- a 237-acre parcel of old growth forest near P=
anuke Lake, Halifax Co.<br><br>The land will support wilderness protection,=
 heritage conservation, tourism, recreation, community use, fishing, huntin=
g, and potential eco-tourism Mi&#39;kmaq uses.<br>
d Mr. MacDonell. &quot;Coastal property is generally the most highly sought=
 after and expensive land. This is a smart investment that will benefit the=
 environment and provide tourism and recreation opportunities.&quot;<br>
vince reach its conservation goals.<br><br>&quot;We are thrilled with the o=
pportunity to protect a significant piece of Nova Scotia&#39;s coast and ot=
her wilderness,&quot; said Sterling Belliveau, Minister of Environment. &qu=
ot;We will be consulting with key organizations and Nova Scotians on these =
lands as part of the broader land protection process.&quot;<br>
015. Currently, 8.6 per cent of the province&#39;s land mass is protected. =
Detailed protection decisions will be made over the next few years. <br>
 said his organization is delighted with the land acquisition.<br><br>&quot=
;We are especially pleased to see the large coastal area along the Bay of F=
undy included,&quot; said Mr. Plourde. &quot;The province owns only about f=
ive per cent of Nova Scotia&#39;s coastline, so acquisitions like this are =
rare and very important from a social, ecological and a tourism perspective=
. We applaud the government&#39;s efforts in this regard.&quot;<br>
or large land purchases and expects to make further announcements soon.<br>=
llowed to harvest about one quarter of the Apple Head area over the next tw=
o years. A 200-metre buffer zone has been established along the coastline a=
nd in ravines, where the harvest will be limited or excluded. Special wildl=

te></div><br>

--00151750e6e0e838f3047fde5c17--