[NatureNS] snow fleas (probably Boreus, Mecoptera)

From: Anne Mills <ocotillo@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:43:37 -0400

When I was teaching Terrestrial Diversity in the Biology Department at Dal.,
I always had a sample of the wingless insects on display in the lab for the
students. Andrew identified them correctly as Collembola but I will add here
that they are from one of 5 groups (orders) of "wingless insects" (subclass
Apterygota) that we studied. The Collembola are the springtails or snowfleas
that one sees on pond surfaces or streams at this time of the year. I used
to see them often at the Hd. of St. Margaret's Bay up in the woods either on
the trail or at the edge of the stream running down the hill. They come in
various colours - black, rust, bright yellow and blue! although I have not
seen the latter two colours. If you find a largish cluster of them on the
snow put your ear to them and you'll hear little click clicks as they jump.

Anne Mills