[NatureNS] snow fleas (probably Boreus, Mecoptera)

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 12:38:15 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016e6d783fc706255047fba5dc8

The Snow Scorpionflies (Boreus spp) are found here, I've collected some and
they are in the collection at StFX. I'm thinking they were caught around
March, but I'd have to look. I'm off to donate blood in a few minutes, so
I'll have to get back to you. I did see a Winter Stonefly last week.

On 16 February 2010 12:22, Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca> wrote:

> Has anyone into winter hiking come across these, snow fleas (Mecoptera =
> scorpionflies)?
> They are expected to be black or brown, about 3 mm long, flightless
> (vestigial
> wings), come out on to the snow surface in the day in winter, and can jump.
> They have been photo'd from early December through mid February on
> Bugguide.net, in places like New Hampshire and Ontario.  The species
> featured
> on Bugguide are mostly Boreus brumalis and Boreus nivoriundus.
>
> A colleague from Cambridge, Malcolm Burrows, who visited here a couple of
> years
> ago to work on jumping mecahnisms in true bugs, is coming back again later
> this
> year.  He is the expert on the mechanics of insect jumps and has just asked
> me
> if any species of Boreus is found here.  Has anyone seen any jumping
> critter
> like this somewhere in N.S., and if so at what sort of date?
> Thanks,
> Steve

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--0016e6d783fc706255047fba5dc8

The Snow Scorpionflies (Boreus spp) are found here, I&#39;ve collected some=
 and they are in the collection at StFX. I&#39;m thinking they were caught =
around March, but I&#39;d have to look. I&#39;m off to donate blood in a fe=
w minutes, so I&#39;ll have to get back to you. I did see a Winter Stonefly=
 last week.<br>

n dir=3D"ltr">&lt;srshaw@dal.ca&gt;</s=
pan> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex=
;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

Has anyone into winter hiking come across these, snow fleas (Mecoptera =3D<=
br>
scorpionflies)?<br>
They are expected to be black or brown, about 3 mm long, flightless (vestig=
ial<br>
wings), come out on to the snow surface in the day in winter, and can jump.=
 They have been photo&#39;d from early December through mid February on<br>
Bugguide.net, in places like New Hampshire and Ontario. =A0The species feat=
ured<br>
on Bugguide are mostly Boreus brumalis and Boreus nivoriundus.<br>
A colleague from Cambridge, Malcolm Burrows, who visited here a couple of y=
ears<br>
ago to work on jumping mecahnisms in true bugs, is coming back again later =
this<br>
year. =A0He is the expert on the mechanics of insect jumps and has just ask=
ed me<br>
if any species of Boreus is found here. =A0Has anyone seen any jumping crit=
ter<br>
like this somewhere in N.S., and if so at what sort of date?<br>
Thanks,<br>
Steve<br>

--0016e6d783fc706255047fba5dc8--