[NatureNS] Juncos and those blue guys

From: nhungjohn <nhungjohn@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 22:42:21 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_bHxFQZg6nlnTjSkBXOGJxw)

To:  all

From;  John Sollows

Date: Feb. 13/10

No shortage of juncos here in Yarmouth.

The bluebirds re-appeared in Chebogue Feb. 7-8.  We have a bad shot, taken by my wife Feb. 7.  It was a cold, windy day,
and seven of them were huddling against the weather.  My wife got a little
closer, and the little guys (inclding one brownish gal) flew up and
dispersed.

That led me to delay passing along the word.  The discussion re. the varied thrush is very a propos.  Considering the weather, we didn't do these
birds any favor by trying to get a good picture.

I'm glad to send our best shot of thse guys to anyone who is interested, but the picture is too big to be posted to all.

Saw the house owner this evening.   They evidently disappeared after Feb. 8, but reappeared briefly yesterday.

On the way home from the Feb. 7 bluebird visit, on Wyman Road a turkey vulture crossed the path of the car  (not at all unusual), followed by a dark raptor of apparently similar size with dark (black?) flight feathers and apparently white wing linings.  The contrast between wing linings and flight feathers was striking.  I presume it was an immature bald eagle, but have never seen such contrast in an illustration.  Any thoughts?

--Boundary_(ID_bHxFQZg6nlnTjSkBXOGJxw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18876">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>To:&nbsp; all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>From;&nbsp; John Sollows</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Date: Feb. 13/10</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>No shortage of juncos here in Yarmouth.<BR><BR>The
bluebirds re-appeared in Chebogue Feb. 7-8.&nbsp; We have a bad shot, taken by
my wife Feb. 7.&nbsp; It was a cold, windy day, <BR>and seven of them were
huddling against the weather.&nbsp;&nbsp;My wife&nbsp;got a little <BR>closer,
and the little guys (inclding one brownish gal) flew up and
<BR>dispersed.</FONT><FONT size=2 face=Arial></DIV>
<DIV><BR>That led me to delay passing along the&nbsp;word.&nbsp; The discussion
re. the varied thrush is very a propos.&nbsp; Considering the weather, we didn't
do these <BR>birds any favor by trying to get a good picture</FONT>.&nbsp;
<BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I'm glad to send our best shot of thse guys to
anyone who is interested, but the picture is too big to be posted to
all.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Saw the house owner this evening.&nbsp;&nbsp; They
evidently disappeared after Feb. 8, but reappeared briefly
yesterday.</FONT></DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On the way home from the Feb. 7 bluebird visit, on
Wyman Road a turkey vulture crossed the path of the car&nbsp; (not at all
unusual), followed by a dark raptor of apparently similar size with dark
(black?) flight feathers and apparently white wing linings.&nbsp; The contrast
between wing linings and flight feathers was striking.&nbsp;&nbsp;I presume it
was an immature bald eagle, but have never seen such contrast in an
illustration.&nbsp; Any thoughts?</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_bHxFQZg6nlnTjSkBXOGJxw)--