[NatureNS] Recent Nature Photos

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 19:57:51 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_SWPAOepUqtYVOqYA90aunw)

Late last month I spotted a River Otter fishing at the mouth of Pennant Creek, head of Pennant Cove.  When it spotted me It scurried across the snow and went into what I thought was its den but when I passed by later the place was awash so it was just hiding from me there.  I did manage a few quick photos:

http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/January10/0187.html

Despite my tireless and valiant efforts to get a gallery photo of the Dovekies at Sambro Harbour I have had no luck as yet. As consolation,  I have continued to spot Black Guillemots fairly close to the dock and lots of Common Loons.  I will have to tote my heavy telephoto lens and tripod out to this dock one sunny day and get serious with these guys.

I tried for the Purple Sandpipers at Point Pleasant Park yesterday morning at about 8AM, four hours after high tide, so the conditions should have been ideal for their appearance.  There were four feeding at the tip of the cornice just past the anchor and another bunch on the rock just past the fenced in bunker array.  I couldn't count the second bunch because they were popping their heads up and down from the seaside of the rock.  Alas, the gloomy lighting made it near to impossible to get decent photos.  I've posted a few photos of this shorebird anyways.  Ditto goes to toting my big lens out to this place and doing it up right. The rest of the photos are some winter and pastoral scenes of the winter countryside.

http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/February2010/0100.html

Hans

_________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com
_________________________________

--Boundary_(ID_SWPAOepUqtYVOqYA90aunw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18876">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Late last month I spotted a <STRONG>River
Otter</STRONG> fishing at the mouth of Pennant Creek, head of Pennant
Cove.&nbsp; When it spotted me It scurried across the snow and went into what I
thought was its den but when I passed by later the place was awash so it was
just hiding from me there.&nbsp; I did manage a few quick photos:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/January10/0187.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/January10/0187.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Despite my <EM>tireless and valiant</EM> efforts to
get a gallery photo of the <STRONG>Dovekies</STRONG> at Sambro Harbour I have
had no luck as yet.&nbsp;As consolation, &nbsp;I have continued to spot
<STRONG>Black Guillemots</STRONG> fairly close to the dock and lots of
<STRONG>Common Loons</STRONG>.&nbsp; I will have to tote my heavy telephoto lens
and tripod out to this dock one sunny day and get serious with these guys.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I tried for the <STRONG>Purple Sandpipers</STRONG>
at Point Pleasant Park yesterday morning at about 8AM, four hours after high
tide, so the conditions should have been ideal for their appearance.&nbsp; There
were four feeding at the tip of the cornice just past the anchor and another
bunch on the rock just past the fenced in bunker array.&nbsp; I couldn't count
the second bunch because they were popping their heads up and down from the
seaside of the rock.&nbsp; Alas, the gloomy lighting made it near to impossible
to get decent photos.&nbsp; I've posted a few photos of this shorebird
anyways.&nbsp; Ditto goes to toting my big lens out to this place and doing it
up right. </FONT><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The rest of the photos are some winter
and pastoral scenes of the winter&nbsp;countryside.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/February2010/0100.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/February2010/0100.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>_________________________________<BR>Hans
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>Website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A>

--Boundary_(ID_SWPAOepUqtYVOqYA90aunw)--