[NatureNS] Feeding Meal Worms During The Winter

Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 12:34:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Suzanne Borkowski <suzanneborkowski@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Gayle;

Placing them on the cover of a tupperware dish filled with hot water works really well.

I used to put mine on a small square container, about as big as a sandwich.  The cover had a small indentation running along the edge, kind of like a "moat" and the worms would try to get off the warm cover - a bit too warm for them, and get trapped in this moat.  The warbler had an easy time picking them up.  The water only stayed hot for a few minutes, then it stayed warm for 15-20 minutes - but that was all that was needed.  The worms were long gone by the time the water got cold.