[NatureNS] Pictou Co. bird update

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>, NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:56:01 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_2syuB0U4pqzNSmRZ9aQRlQ)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Jan. 30, 2010

Hi all
Just came back for a little  noon drive (~ 1 hour) through Trenton- New Glasgow. There is an adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL on the ice in the East River of Pictou as seen from Bridegview square area. It is the same location where I had on Jan.1 on the Pictou Hbr. CBC although that bird seemed to have a little black  on the bill. This one had a a red spot on bill and still had dark head streaking and a smudgy dark area around the eye. Took a distant photo.

The male TUFTED DUCK was seen with Scaup from the Greens Pt. Rd. in Hillside.

Between the Big Gut bridge and the Trenton Power plant, I observed 13 species of waterfowl incl. the Tufted plus  5 Gadwall, 3 GW Teal, 17 Hooded Mergansers and 3 American Wigeon.

I also noted a Yellow-rumped Warbler off Park St. in Trenton. A stop at a feeder on North Albert St. and a chat with the owner indicated he had a fem. Cardinal present for 5 days. I did not see in in the time I was there but there were a number of Robins and I heard a waxwing sp?- a little hard to tell in the wind. The owner has been seeing Cedars from time to time. A Red-tailed hawk flew over his yard.

Last Sunday, Jan. 24, there were at least  2 Pine Warblers at Park St. Trenton and the Brown Thrasher was briefly seen in Pictou near the McCulloch Museum. At least 8 Barrows Goldeneye were at the Pictou Causeway and 3 Kingfishers were noted from the Pictou- Trenton area. Singing WW Crossbills were noted in Bayview and from the Caribou PP.

cheers
Ken

--Boundary_(ID_2syuB0U4pqzNSmRZ9aQRlQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18876">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><BR>Jan. 30, 2010</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Just came back for a little&nbsp; noon drive (~ 1
hour)&nbsp;through Trenton- New Glasgow. There is an adult&nbsp;<STRONG>LESSER
BLACK-BACKED GULL</STRONG> on the ice in the East River of Pictou as seen from
Bridegview square area. It is the same location where I had on Jan.1 on the
Pictou Hbr. CBC although that bird seemed to have a little&nbsp;black &nbsp;on
the bill. This one had a a red spot on bill and still had dark&nbsp;head
streaking and a smudgy dark area around the eye. Took a distant
photo.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The male <STRONG>TUFTED DUCK</STRONG> was seen with
Scaup from the Greens Pt. Rd. in Hillside.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Between the Big Gut bridge and the Trenton Power
plant, I observed 13 species of waterfowl incl. the Tufted plus &nbsp;5 Gadwall,
3 GW Teal, 17 Hooded Mergansers and 3 American Wigeon. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I&nbsp;also noted a Yellow-rumped Warbler
off&nbsp;Park St. in Trenton. A stop at a feeder on North Albert St. and a chat
with the owner indicated he had a fem. Cardinal present for 5 days.&nbsp;I did
not see in in the time I was there but there were a number of Robins and I heard
a waxwing sp?- a little hard to tell in the wind. The owner has been seeing
Cedars from time to time. A Red-tailed hawk flew over his yard. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Last Sunday, Jan. 24, there were at least&nbsp; 2
Pine Warblers at Park St. Trenton and the Brown Thrasher was briefly seen in
Pictou near the McCulloch Museum. At least 8 Barrows Goldeneye were at the
Pictou Causeway and 3 Kingfishers were noted from the Pictou- Trenton area.
Singing WW Crossbills were noted in Bayview and from the Caribou PP.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_2syuB0U4pqzNSmRZ9aQRlQ)--