[NatureNS] Sable Island Status

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:56:18 -0400

I agree with Ian that it is not good general practice to subscribe to a
"Contrarian" Viewpoint.  Further on this matter some folks may be interested
in reading comments made by two well respected national
environmental/conservation organizations about the Sable Island issue:

      CPAWS has put out a press release...welcoming a national park proposal
because of stronger habitat provisions and dedicated $$ for research...but
also cautioning against increased access.
      http://cpaws.org/news/archive/2010/01/cpaws-welcomes-stronger-protec.php

Nature Canada issued the following press release re the Prentice-MacDonell
Sable Island announcement yesterday.

http://www.naturecanada.org/newsroom_jan_26_10_SableIsland.asp - Groups
applaud Ottawa's plans to protect island, but caution against public access

Cheers,

Bob McDonald