[NatureNS] Latitude and climate

Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 02:00:42 -0400
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

If you mean 'right now', it's because it is roughly midsummer there in the
southern hemisphere, but midwinter here in the northern hemisphere. Oz is
approximately at the opposite side of the world from NS but in the southern
hemisphere, so the seasons are approx 6 months out of phase.  This happens
because the earth's axis has a fixed tilt, and the earth moves round the sun
with a period of 12 months. In what we call summer, our top half of the globe
is tilted more towards the sun so gets warmed more, while their bottom half is
tilted away so gets less sunlight and stays cooler, which they call winter in
Oz; this is reversed 6 months later.  Sherman surely could give you a more
careful explanation.

If you mean 'at comparable times of year, ~6 months apart', I doubt that they
are that much different (Tasmania is quite a bit further south and has a
pleasant temperate climate, cooler on average than mainland Oz where I used to
live). If that's the question, you'd need a geographer or a climate expert to
explain why local conditions differ at the specific locations on the
globe that
you are interested in.  Tasmania is a biggish island in the windy
southern ocean
for instance, but RI and PA are part of the very large N. Am continent
-- these
locations and things like mountains, average cloud cover and prevailing winds
can greatly modify local climate, even when the average annual dose of
sunlight
reaching the earth above your two locations is comparable.
Steve