[NatureNS] American Pipit and Dovekies

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:53:02 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_V0Ah3thq3T5MJP56dD7wUw)

I took a stroll this morning to Crystal Crescent Beach and found two Dovekies fishing between the first and second beaches, fairly close to shore.  These are the first I've seen out here this winter.  The real surprise was an American Pipit.  They have successfully overwintered here in the past but have been absent in recent years during January. Other attendees were Long-tailed Ducks, Red-breasted Mergansers, Common Goldeneyes and at least one Hooded Merganser in Indian Harbour.

Sambro Harbour was also active with three more Dovekies, four Common Loons, a dozen Red-breasted Mergansers and at least 12 Black Guillemots.  No doubt, there were more of these species around the basin but I didn't scan the area preferring to photograph these guys as they passed by the pier on their fishing sorties.

Hans

_________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com
_________________________________

--Boundary_(ID_V0Ah3thq3T5MJP56dD7wUw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18876">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I took a stroll this morning to Crystal Crescent
Beach and found two <STRONG>Dovekies</STRONG> fishing between the first and
second beaches, fairly close to shore.&nbsp; These are the first I've seen out
here this winter.&nbsp; The real surprise was an <STRONG>American
Pipit.</STRONG>&nbsp; They have successfully overwintered here in the past but
have been absent in recent years during January. Other attendees were
<STRONG>Long-tailed Ducks</STRONG>, <STRONG>Red-breasted Mergansers, Common
Goldeneyes</STRONG>&nbsp;and at least one <STRONG>Hooded Merganser</STRONG> in
Indian Harbour.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Sambro Harbour was also active with three more
<STRONG>Dovekies,</STRONG> four <STRONG>Common Loons</STRONG>, a dozen
<STRONG>Red-breasted Mergansers&nbsp;</STRONG>and&nbsp;at least <STRONG>12 Black
Guillemots</STRONG>.&nbsp; No doubt, there were more of these species around the
basin but I didn't scan the area preferring to photograph these guys as they
passed by the pier on their fishing sorties.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>_________________________________<BR>Hans
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>Website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A>

--Boundary_(ID_V0Ah3thq3T5MJP56dD7wUw)--