[NatureNS] Snowshoe Hares

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:43:42 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016e6db2d81d0276e047e3a8c40

My feeling is that we're "about average" right now. 2005 was a boom year on
the mainland (Cape Breton's hares cycle differently from the mainland...I
think they're about seven years ahead of us, or so). That year, for fun, we
counted hares on the sides of the road on the way to one of my Guysborough
nest sites that I was visiting frequently. I remember counts in the dozens.
I should have kept track...I know.

I see more tracks in the woods now than I did two years ago for sure, but my
qualitative guess is that the numbers are not much different from last year.

Randy

--
_________________________________
RF Lauff

--0016e6db2d81d0276e047e3a8c40

My feeling is that we&#39;re &quot;about average&quot; right now. 2005 was =
a boom year on the mainland (Cape Breton&#39;s hares cycle differently from=
 the mainland...I think they&#39;re about seven years ahead of us, or so). =
That year, for fun, we counted hares on the sides of the road on the way to=
 one of my Guysborough nest sites that I was visiting frequently. I remembe=
r counts in the dozens. I should have kept track...I know.<div>

for sure, but my qualitative guess is that the numbers are not much differe=
l_quote">

On 28 January 2010 09:49, john belbin <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mail=
to:jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca">jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<b=
r><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:=
1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

=3D"Compose message area">
ation=20
cycle of 8-11 years for Snowshoe Hares. The peaks I can find were in 1990 a=
nd=20
1999. That should place us at or near a population maximum at the moment if=
 it=20
applies to Nova Scotia. That would indicate a local mini boom in predators =
if=20
true.</font></div>
ey=20
care to pass on.</font></div>