[NatureNS] Singing White-winged Crossbills and other finches

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:17:00 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_1421781==.ALT

         Finches of all kinds seem to have been scarce here in
Halifax this winter.  A few America Goldfinches is about it.  However
today in the warm sunshine I heard House Finches singing on
Waegwoltic Avenue, the first I've heard this year.  (I have yet to
see any, though!)   I haven't been out birding much and am envious of
Ken's report of singing White-winged Crossbills.  I plan to visit my
atlas squares in a few weeks and will be looking and listening for
them then. In the meantime I thought I'd pass on this vivid
description from NF.Birds, which gives a good idea of what to listen
and look for as breeding evidence.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax