[NatureNS] Sandhill Crane update - Jan 27 / 10

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:01:24 -0400

For those interested in the saga of the 'Valley' Sandhill Crane duo... they
have turned up again in Grand Pre.

I received a phone call from Shirley Wright (351 West Long Island Rd, Grand
Pre : 902-542-3493) around 3.30 p.m. today, to say she had just seen two
large heron-type birds walking up her neighbour's driveway and then into
part of a large snowless farm field  which begins between her home and the
house next door to the east and extends northwards, and proceeded to wander
around feeding.  She said Long Island had little snow there this winter
(unlike Wolfville) thus the 'open' field.  When I suggested Sandhill Cranes,
Shirley realized they looked very much like the 'heron-type' bird she had
seen briefly back in early Dec. on Long Is. near the little church.

I was able to contact Bernard and Sandra Forsythe who headed there and found
the  pair of Sandhill Cranes feeding, and shortly after a friend and I also
saw them. We were able to observe the two cranes from the short road that
heads north to Evangeline Beach and the cottages, by looking west. The birds
could not be seen from West Long Island Rd itself as the field is up on the
hill. This large field adjoining Shirley's property is not owned by her but
she felt her neighbour would not mind birders as long as they are careful.
I was unable to get any decent photos as the birds moved deeper into the
field once they realized they were being observed. One has to hope these
SACRs are able to survive the riguors of our NS winter.

I noticed the stream/creek that runs along the southern edge of Long Island
has extensively flooded after the heavy rains that fell a couple of days
ago.  Shirley said the water level rose almost to the level of the roadway
itself but has partially retreated since. There were a few chunks of ice
floating in this flooded area, some ducks were enjoying the open water.
Possibly this sudden 'wetland' along with the exposed farm fields attracted
the cranes to return to this area?

Cheers,
Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts