[NatureNS] Breeding White-winged Crossbills

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 07:35:30 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_LMcDG+SIQqTEaL2IWen3YQ)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644
Hi all
On Jan. 25, I made a trip from Stellarton to Sober I. and return. I took a convoluted route which took me into quite a number of atlas squares in the centre of the mainland ( Trafalgar-Dean-Chaplin Upper Musquodoboit- Marinette etc. ). I managed to find evidence of breeding WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS in 10 squares. Most of the evidence was singing or displaying males or pairs of birds. Not every stop in conifer habit produced results, but most did.
Sober I. itself was quiet. I did see 2 Purple Sandpipers along with the usual over-wintering waterfowl. Of note, I did see 31 Great Cormorants, 3 Horned Grebes, 16 Common Loons but only 4 Black Guillemots and no other alcids. Yesterdays SE winds may have  brought in something more interesting.

The atlas project could use more Crossbill sightings. Why not have a look. I am noting Pine Siskins and Goldfinches in some of the areas with abundant spruce cones as well as RB Nuthatches.
I had only 1 Gray Jay near the Pictou/ Guys Co. line on Rte. 374.
cheers
Ken

--Boundary_(ID_LMcDG+SIQqTEaL2IWen3YQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18876">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On Jan. 25, I made a trip from Stellarton to Sober
I. and return. I took a convoluted route which took me into quite a number of
atlas squares in the centre of the mainland ( Trafalgar-Dean-Chaplin Upper
Musquodoboit- Marinette etc. ). I managed to find evidence of breeding
WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS in 10 squares. Most of the evidence was singing or
displaying males or pairs of birds. Not every stop in conifer habit produced
results, but most did.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Sober I. itself was quiet. I did see 2 Purple
Sandpipers along with the usual over-wintering waterfowl. Of note, I did
see&nbsp;31 Great Cormorants, 3 Horned Grebes, 16 Common Loons but only 4 Black
Guillemots and no other alcids. Yesterdays&nbsp;SE winds may have&nbsp;
brought&nbsp;in something more interesting. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The atlas project could use more Crossbill
sightings. Why not have a look. I am noting Pine Siskins and Goldfinches in some
of the areas with abundant spruce cones as well as RB Nuthatches. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I had only 1 Gray Jay near the Pictou/ Guys Co.
line on Rte. 374. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_LMcDG+SIQqTEaL2IWen3YQ)--