[NatureNS] Hawk ID help

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:09:57 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016e6d784234264ba047dfce42e

Thanks Kathleen and those that wrote off line.

In 003, if you zoom in on the tail, you will see barring, at least what I
interpret as barring. It doesn't look like the barring on a juvenile
Red-tail to me, but the tail length and body shape are more buteo-like to me
as well. I don't think the barring Kathleen mentions is necessarily part of
a belly band, it could have been the striping of the underside of a juvenile
Gos.

What troubles me most is that the observer has Red-tails around all the
time, and I think would have ID'd it as such; but we all make mistakes.

Randy

2010/1/25 Kathleen MacAulay <roughlegged_hawk@yahoo.ca>

> Looks like a red-tail to me, Randy - that bulky shape and short
> tail definitely belongs to a buteo, and all the colours and patterns
> (especially the barred bellyband) are right for red-tail. I have to admit, I
> can't really see the tail banding in any of the photos - what makes it
> unlike a red-tail?
>  Kathleen MacAulay
>

>  ------------------------------

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--0016e6d784234264ba047dfce42e

f you zoom in on the tail, you will see barring, at least what I interpret =
as barring. It doesn&#39;t look like the barring on a juvenile Red-tail to =
me, but the tail length and body shape are more buteo-like to me as well. I=
 don&#39;t think the barring Kathleen mentions is necessarily part of a bel=
ly band, it could have been the striping of the underside of a juvenile Gos=
.</div>

s around all the time, and I think would have ID&#39;d it as such; but we a=
_quote">

2010/1/25 Kathleen MacAulay <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:roughle=
 class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc soli=
d;padding-left:1ex;">

t"><div>Looks like a red-tail to me, Randy - that bulky shape and short tai=
l=A0definitely belongs to a buteo, and all the colours and patterns (especi=
ally the barred bellyband) are right for red-tail. I have to admit, I can&#=
39;t really see the tail banding in any of the photos - what makes it unlik=
e a red-tail?<br>

thleen MacAulay</div>
r>=A0</div>
:12pt"><font size=3D"2" face=3D"Tahoma">
<hr size=3D"1"><div class=3D"im">
f=3D"mailto:randy.lauff@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">randy.lauff@gmail.com<=
/span></b> NatureNS &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=
=3D"_blank">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a>&gt;<br>

s of a hawk that has been hanging around since before Christmas. I have pos=
ted them. The first one has a Blue Jay in it for size comparison, but is un=
fortunately of low res. However, the tail banding is evident.
ollow" target=3D"_blank">http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/hawk003.jpg</a=
ollow" target=3D"_blank"></a>The other two are of much higher res, but do n=
ot show the tail.</div>
ollow" target=3D"_blank">http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/hawk002.jpg</a=
ollow" target=3D"_blank"></a><a href=3D"http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos=
/hawk001.jpg" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://people.stfx.ca/rlau=
ff/photos/hawk001.jpg</a></div>

ollow" target=3D"_blank"></a>The thought is that it&#39;s an immature Gos..=
.tail banding is not right for a Red-tail (or Rough-leg?), =A0size is not r=
ight for anything else. There doesn&#39;t appear to be an eyeline though. I=
t landed in a rural yard where feederbirds are present, but so are mice. Lo=
ts of farmland around.</div>

nal Geo&#39;c.</div>
lass=3D"hm"><br>
      <hr size=3D"1">Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real =
people. <a href=3D"http://ca.answers.yahoo.com" target=3D"_blank"><b>Go to =

--0016e6d784234264ba047dfce42e--