[NatureNS] Pt Pleasant Park Glaucous Gull, Purple Sandpipers, odd gull, no K eider -- yet

From: Andrew Horn <aghorn@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 06:37:20 -0400

Hi all,

Visiting student & keen birder from Germany Henrik Reers saw an adult
Glaucous Gull at Black Rock Beach yesterday.

On Tuesday, he and I saw 6 Purple Sandpipers there and a first year
herring-ish gull with dark tips and clean checkering on its wings
against a white background, like a European Herring Gull. It flew off
as we fumbled for a camera; might be worth watching for.

Lots of eiders close in, well worth picking through to see all the
variety in plumage and head shapes, though we've only seen pretty
typical commons so far.

Cheers,
Andy Horn
Halifax