[NatureNS] Carolina Wren Update

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 18:49:26 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_mc+gnXYKrutOoj8N5Guoag)

I visited the property of Peter and Heather Tunnah this morning to photograph the Carolina Wren.  The couple was very accommodating and friendly and Peter described the bird's habits to me.  Although previously written about by James Hirtle the environment here for the bird is worth describing in detail again which easily explains its six month stay.  I doubt it will leave until the leaves open out in the spring.

The larder for the wren is the woodshed which is open at both ends.  As those of us who burn wood know, woodpiles are often habitat for various insects.  This explains why the wren stays in the woodshed most of the day.  Even during storm days like tomorrow it can forage there in comfort.  There is also a backup source of food supplied by the nearby feeders.

The most amazing set-up this wren has developed is its sleeping arrangements.  It has a nesting cavity burrowed into a thick slab of fibreglass insulation inside a shed attachment to the main house, so it is not only protected from the weather by the shed but is surrounded by insulation when it sleeps.  Peter checked it out with a flashlight and the wren is about 6-8" into the fibreglass.  This is one smart bird!

Hans

http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/January10/0146.html
_________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com
_________________________________

--Boundary_(ID_mc+gnXYKrutOoj8N5Guoag)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18854">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I visited the property of Peter and Heather Tunnah
this morning to photograph the <STRONG>Carolina Wren</STRONG>.&nbsp; The couple
was very accommodating and friendly and Peter described the bird's habits to
me.&nbsp; Although previously written about&nbsp;by James Hirtle the environment
here for the bird is worth describing in detail again which easily explains its
six month stay.&nbsp; I doubt it will leave until the leaves open out in the
spring.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The larder for the wren is the woodshed which is
open at&nbsp;both ends.&nbsp; As those of us&nbsp;who burn wood know, woodpiles
are often habitat for various insects.&nbsp; This explains why the wren stays in
the woodshed most of the day.&nbsp; Even during storm days like tomorrow it can
forage there in comfort.&nbsp; There is also a&nbsp;backup source of food
supplied by the nearby feeders.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The most amazing set-up this wren has developed is
its sleeping arrangements.&nbsp; It has a nesting cavity&nbsp;burrowed into a
thick slab of fibreglass insulation inside a shed attachment to the main house,
so it is not only protected from the weather by the shed but&nbsp;is surrounded
by insulation when it sleeps.&nbsp; Peter checked it out with a flashlight and
the wren is about 6-8" into the fibreglass.&nbsp; This is one smart
bird!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/January10/0146.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/January10/0146.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>_________________________________<BR>Hans
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>Website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A>

--Boundary_(ID_mc+gnXYKrutOoj8N5Guoag)--