[NatureNS] Carolina Wren, Not Brown Creeper

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 22:34:35 +0000

--_f6863b84-94ec-4683-98ff-5fce5006fe92_

Hi all:

=20

A ways back I sent a report through with a story about a brown creeper that=
 was roosting in a horse barn during the night and then in a chicken coop a=
nd then in a cellarway amidst a hole it had made in insulation.  The report=
ees had told me that the bird was a brown creeper=2C but have since realize=
d that it actually is a Carolina wren.  The confusion came from only having=
 seen it back on in the barn and a quick look as the bird whizzed past them=
 as it rushed out of the barn in the morning and back in the evening and al=
ways seeing a brown creeper around the yard right after the fact. =20

=20

Recently the bird has habits of sitting out in the open for long periods an=
d upon getting better looks it turned out to be a Carolina Wren. This bird =
has been present roughly for six months now.  Dorothy Poole and I went to s=
ee it today.  We heard it call initially and then waited almost an hour bef=
ore it started calling repeatedly.  The wren then started to scold profusel=
y.  A short time later it flew into the feeders about five or six feet from=
 us and provided excellent viewing. =20

=20

The property owners have given consent for those that wish to try for this =
bird.  They would like to be phoned first to let them know you are coming. =
 The property owners are Peter and Heather Tunnah and their phone number is=
 902-685-2359.  Directions to get to the wren are as follows:  Take the Wil=
eville turn off at the 103.  Drive inland towards Wileville and keep going =
until you see a road to the left marked Lapland/Laconia.  Drive the paved p=
art of this road until you reach gravel.  Do not turn off at the first road=
 to the right=2C but take the second which is marked Laconia.  Drive in tha=
t road until you see Jefferson Road to your left.  The first house=2C 51 on=
 the left is the site of the Carolina Wren. =20

=20

The feeders at the property were hopping today with at least seven red-brea=
sted nuthatches and oodles of other species.  We also heard crossbills fly =
over.

=20

At Waterloo there was a flock of 40 snow buntings.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport

=20

=20
 		 	   		 =20
Reinvent how you stay in touch with the new Windows Live Messenger.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9706116=

--_f6863b84-94ec-4683-98ff-5fce5006fe92_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
A ways back I sent a report through with a story about a brown creeper that=
 was roosting in a horse barn during the night and then in a chicken coop a=
nd then in a cellarway amidst a hole it had made in insulation.&nbsp=3B The=
 reportees had told me that the bird was a brown creeper=2C but have since =
realized that it actually is a Carolina wren.&nbsp=3B The confusion came fr=
om only having seen it back on in the barn and&nbsp=3Ba quick look as the b=
ird&nbsp=3Bwhizzed past them as it rushed out of the barn in the morning an=
d back in the evening and always seeing a brown creeper&nbsp=3Baround the y=
ard right after the fact.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Recently the bird has habits of sitting out in the open for long periods an=
d upon getting better looks it turned out to be a Carolina Wren.&nbsp=3BThi=
s bird has been present roughly for six months now.&nbsp=3B Dorothy Poole a=
nd I went to see it today.&nbsp=3B We heard it call initially and then wait=
ed almost an hour before it started calling repeatedly.&nbsp=3B The wren th=
en started to scold profusely.&nbsp=3B A short time later it flew into the =
feeders about five or six feet from us and provided excellent viewing.&nbsp=
=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The property owners have given consent for those that wish to try for this =
bird.&nbsp=3B They would like to be phoned first to let them know you are c=
oming.&nbsp=3B The property owners are Peter and Heather Tunnah and their p=
hone number is 902-685-2359.&nbsp=3B Directions to get to the wren are as f=
ollows:&nbsp=3B Take the Wileville turn off at the 103.&nbsp=3B Drive inlan=
d towards Wileville and keep going until you see a road to the left marked =
Lapland/Laconia.&nbsp=3B Drive the paved part of this road until you reach =
gravel.&nbsp=3B Do not turn off at the first road to the right=2C but take =
the second which is marked Laconia.&nbsp=3B Drive in that road until you se=
e Jefferson Road to your left.&nbsp=3B The first house=2C 51 on the left is=
 the site of the Carolina Wren.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The feeders at the property were hopping today with at least seven red-brea=
sted nuthatches and oodles of other species.&nbsp=3B We also heard crossbil=
ls fly over.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At Waterloo there was a flock of 40 snow buntings.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />Tell the whole story with photos=2C rig=
ht from your Messenger window. <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=
=3D9706112' target=3D'_new'>Learn how!</a></body>

--_f6863b84-94ec-4683-98ff-5fce5006fe92_--