[NatureNS] Waterfalls, Icefalls and Other Winter Scenes

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 20:04:33 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_iHn47f9YSbAWOnQjQyLSTw)

During the last few days I visited a couple of my favourite waterfalls, Butcher's Falls near Upper Stewiacke and Dawson's Brook Falls near Windsor.  When visiting waterfalls in winter always go prepared with studded footwear and also a cell phone in case you get in trouble.  Footing can be tricky around these places with all the ice over and under the snow.  Directions to these two falls can be found by Googling. I don't recommend venturing to these falls in a two wheel drive vehicle since some roads are not ploughed and some only occasionally.  There is no reliable book on Nova Scotia waterfalls that I have found. The directions in, "Waterfalls, Nova Scotia's Masterpieces", are near to useless.  On several occasions I've had to ask for help from local people and one waterfall we searched for hadn't been visited in years. The trail was completely overgrown but we were able to bushwack our way into the site with the aid of accommodating local enthusiasts.

I've added some photos to my website of these waterfalls, the associated brooks, other winter scenes and even a few birds.  This is the slowest winter, birding wise, out our way in the nine years we've lived here in Portuguese Cove.  Sambro Harbour is still very quiet with no Dovkies or Murres, as yet, although there are Black Guillemots and Common Loons.  Interestingly, the area around Dawson Brook Falls hosts a colony of Brown Creepers.  They must prefer stands of tall hemlock since they are there summer and winter.

Hans

http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/January10/0121.html

_________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com
_________________________________

--Boundary_(ID_iHn47f9YSbAWOnQjQyLSTw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18854">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>During the last few days I visited a couple of my
favourite waterfalls, <STRONG>Butcher's Falls</STRONG> near Upper Stewiacke and
<STRONG>Dawson's Brook Falls</STRONG> near Windsor.&nbsp; When visiting
waterfalls in winter always go prepared with studded footwear and also a cell
phone in case you get in trouble.&nbsp; Footing can be tricky&nbsp;around these
places with all the ice over and under the snow.&nbsp; Directions to these two
falls can be found by Googling.&nbsp;I don't recommend venturing to these falls
in a two wheel drive vehicle since some roads are not ploughed and some only
occasionally.&nbsp;&nbsp;There is no reliable book on Nova Scotia waterfalls
that I have found. The directions in, "<STRONG>Waterfalls, Nova Scotia's
Masterpieces</STRONG>", are near to useless.&nbsp; On several occasions I've had
to ask for help from local people and one waterfall we searched for hadn't been
visited in years. The trail was completely overgrown but we were able&nbsp;to
bushwack our way into the site&nbsp;with the aid of accommodating local
enthusiasts.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I've added some photos to my website of these
waterfalls, the associated brooks, other winter scenes and even a few
birds.&nbsp; This is the slowest winter, birding wise, out our way in the nine
years we've lived here in Portuguese Cove.&nbsp; Sambro Harbour is still very
quiet with no <STRONG>Dovkies</STRONG> or <STRONG>Murres</STRONG>, as yet,
although there are <STRONG>Black Guillemots</STRONG> and <STRONG>Common
Loons</STRONG>.&nbsp; Interestingly, the area around Dawson Brook Falls hosts a
colony of <STRONG>Brown Creepers.</STRONG>&nbsp; They must prefer stands of tall
hemlock since they are there summer and winter.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/January10/0121.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/January10/0121.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>_________________________________<BR>Hans
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>Website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A>

--Boundary_(ID_iHn47f9YSbAWOnQjQyLSTw)--