[NatureNS] Martinique Beach/whale carcass/eagles

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 17:19:30 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_AAWKb3OyjmWthVifCo8Tyw)

Does anyone know of a case in which ants have really scavenged a carcass? I'm not asking if you've put a carcass on an anthill and it got cleaned (did ants do it?), but have ants actually been seen feeding on a carcass? You will get ants on the carcass at an anthill - a bunch of upset ants that are trying to figure out how to haul the critter away!

I put a good sized whale vertebrae (?) all nice and gooey and oh so slippery and stinky!!! on an ant hill in Hunts Point to try to clean it. It didn't work at first. The ants left!!
The bone laid there for well over a year (I buried it with mostly hardwood wood ashes) or so then when I went to move I went looking for it and it was clean and  ants were back. I assumed they cleaned it up.
It is slowly disintegrating on my stoop now, by the grape vine. There are several whale carcasses buried around the municipality so that the bones could be salvaged at some point. I never did hear of anyone salvaging them.....I wouldn't know who to check with after all these years.
Marg in White Point
http://MargMillard.ca

--Boundary_(ID_AAWKb3OyjmWthVifCo8Tyw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Does anyone
know of a case in which ants have really scavenged a carcass? I'm not asking if
you've put a carcass on an anthill and it got cleaned (did ants do it?), but
have ants actually been seen feeding on a carcass? You will get ants on the
carcass at an anthill - a bunch of upset ants that are trying to figure out how
to haul the critter away!</FONT><BR>............</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I put a good sized whale vertebrae (?)&nbsp;all
nice and gooey and oh so slippery and stinky!!! on an ant hill in Hunts Point to
try to clean it. It didn't work at first. The ants left!! </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The bone laid there for well over a year (I buried
it with mostly hardwood wood ashes) or so then when I went to move I went
looking for it and it was clean and&nbsp; ants were back. I assumed they cleaned
it up. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>It is slowly disintegrating on my stoop now, by the
grape vine. There are several whale carcasses buried around the municipality so
that the bones could be salvaged at some point. I never did hear of anyone
salvaging them.....I wouldn't know who to check with after all these
years.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Marg in White Point</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A
href="http://MargMillard.ca">http://MargMillard.ca</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_AAWKb3OyjmWthVifCo8Tyw)--