[NatureNS] Christmas Bird Count at Porter's Lake, Halifax Co??

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 00:35:01 -0400

	Is there a count in the middle Porter's Lake area?  While visiting my son at 57
Roblea Drive on Boxing Day I saw a male Hairy Woodpecker, 5 Common Crows, and 3
Herring Gulls. On December 27 I only saw the crows again, the same five, I suspect. On
December 28 after a night of heavy rain and some wind, early in the morning there was a
flock of at least 20 Black capped Chickadees combing through the old red maple trees in
front of the house, and one Brown Creeper was also with them. As the morning mist cleared
I saw an adult Bald Eagle fly off towards the ocean, and several hours later one appeared
from the ocean and went into the trees across the lake, so I rather suspect it would be best
to call it one eagle and not two.  Later in the day 5 Black Ducks flew by, hoping to find some
open water. There was none, so they left as quickly as they came. In the Spring Amy and
Sean see large flocks of various ducks in the cove, so I hope to be there this year when the
ice breaks up. Jean Timpa