[NatureNS] correction on Excitement in White Point

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 20:57:39 -0400

I got to see was a
larger hawk (bright heavy yellow legs, heavily brown striped breast and
thick horizontal stripes across the tail which is rounded rather than
straight across, and a head that grew to three times it size when it was
displaying  for the crows) take a  smaller hawk and then was attacked by at
times up to five big crows. The maneuvering (stunning!!!) went on for well
over 1/2 hour as the Lucky (unlucky?) hawk tried to get airborne with its
prey still struggling and the crows trying to tug it away.
Steve said there was only one  hawk who caught a Mourning dove that just was
too much for it to handle when it struggled. there wasn't a second hawk at
all.  he saw it close up as he went out the driveway. The prey  was rolled
in the mud by the time I saw it with binoculars and was why it looked so
stripy.
I saw the hawk back a couple times and it was continuing to hunt until near
dark. The crows spent a good deal of the afternoon playing (how it looked)
with a wing out by the ditch. They were tossing it up and dropping it then
flying up with it and chasing each other. No further sign of the shrike.
Marg
http://MargMillard.ca