[NatureNS] Excitement in White Point

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:01:21 -0400

It has been relatively busy for the time of day here at the feeders here in
White Point. One would expect some weather to be building.
I have just watched a rather gruesome but really neat story unfold. There
has been a Sharp-shinned Hawk hunting off my feeders as well as a Shrike.
This is about the time I watch for the shrike but what I got to see was a
larger hawk (bright heavy yellow legs, heavily brown striped breast and
thick horizontal stripes across the tail which is rounded rather than
straight across, and a head that grew to three times it size when it was
displaying  for the crows) take a  smaller hawk and then was attacked by at
times up to five big crows. The maneuvering (stunning!!!) went on for well
over 1/2 hour as the Lucky (unlucky?) hawk tried to get airborne with its
prey still struggling and the crows trying to tug it away.
Those crows tried all sort of things including actually standing atop the
successful hunter and pulling it off the prey. The Hawk actually lost
control of the prey bird then but soon recovered it. All this time a bird
was keening or screaming. (that was what caught my attention)
It wasn't until a car drove past very quickly the scene ended with the crows
tossing the prey about the snow bank.
Other than that there was a nice surprise in that a Fox Sparrow is visiting
us and the American Tree Sparrow is still here along with the white throats,
song and the mystery bird as I have come to think of . The chipping sparrows
I haven't seen since the snow when they were here on the feeder well after
dark.
Aside from that we have the usually Mourning Doves, chickadees, oh and a
good sized group of Juncos (maybe 20+) . The Jays are in and out in
considerable numbers as are the starlings, only more.
I think all the woodpeckers (Hairy and Downy) that were brought to the
feeders as young are coming back, as well as their parents and all the
friends they have made since! We are going through seed cakes and suet like
crazy and I have already used up most of a bottle of just ground peanuts
butter! I hope Santa brings supplies!
Have a safe and happy holiday and I hope you all get lifers in the New Year.
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens

http://MargMillard.ca