[NatureNS] Feeder birds

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:00:14 -0400
From: Joan Czapalay <joancz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Here in Halifax at Chocolate Lake (11 Balcome) I have had 12 Am
Goldfinches, 4 Black-capped Chickadees, 2 Song Sparrows, and 2 Bluejays
every day since Dec.1st (when I put up extra feeders). I was delighted
to have had both a male and a female Downy Woodpecker yesterday, when
two of the youngest grandchildren were writing their nature journals. In
the lake we have at least 6 American Black Ducks, and there were a
couple of Mallards up until this week.
In the early morning today I had 2 Am. Crows, and a flock of 18-20
Starlings with one Red-winged Blackbird in with them. Saw an
Orange-crowned Warbler in late November, but not since.
I'll stock the feeders for the coming weekend, but will be away 18-20th
for our family get-together in Dartmouth. Whoever is counting in the
area is welcome to stop by to check the apple tree feeders in front, and
the feeders at the lake edge by the parking area. Cheers, Joan