[NatureNS] Warbler

From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 22:36:36 -0400

Hi, Lois.

Dominique Legrand got an Orange-crowned Warbler through the winter last year
in Halifax.  It fed on grape jelly, oranges and a protein-rich home-made
suet mix that was:
1/3 lard
1/3 peanut butter
1/3 rolled oats
some cornmeal ( less than the 1/3 proportion)
some finely chopped or blended hulled sunflower seeds

Her warbler didn't eat the mealworms that were on offer, but she thought
afterwards this was likely because they were too large - smaller ones would
be very worth trying, as protein is essential for getting these birds
through the winter.  Let me know if any questions - I can put you in direct
contact with Dominique if it helps.  She made a feeding cage modelled on
mine (but far more elegant!), and used Christmas lights to provide a low
level of heat in the cage.

Cheers,
Susann