[NatureNS] Late Bloomers and Autumn Bird's Nests

From: "David&Jane Schlosberg" <dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 14:46:06 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01CA7295.036DEDF0

A few very scraggly purple asters and hawkweeds, along with one sow thistle,
pushing through the rock wall on the trail between the Dartmouth Ferry
terminals Sunday.  Has this really been a mild fall?
We have a flock of house sparrows at the feeders.  I wasn't aware that they
were no longer so common.  We have a longstanding flock in our yard, along
with the *&%$#*!! pigeons.
By the way, on the subject of flora and fauna "hoi polloi", what's happened
to pineapple-weed (matricaria matricariodes)?  It seeems to me it used to be
absolutely everywhere.  Now, I rarely see it.
Jane