[NatureNS] Lsr Black-backed Gull, Scoters - Grand Pre

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 17:10:29 -0400

I did not spot the Sandhill Cranes on a brief check (11.30 a.m.) this
morning on Long Is, Grand Pre.  After receiving Lucas Berrigan's e-mail I
now understand why. Bernard Forsythe and Rick Whitman said they had to wait
some time for the SACRs to appear the other day from that same 'dip' that
Lucas mentioned.

I have since learned that two Sandhill Cranes were seen in Grand Pre, but
~1km to the west of their recent location, on 28 Oct & 5 Nov., by John Loch,
so maybe these two have been around awhile. And another possible sighting by
a local resident, of a single bird occurred around the little white church
on Long Is.'west', also sometime in Oct (no date offered).

I spotted an adult Lsr. Black-backed Gull among the myriad of gull flocks
(Herring and Ring-billed) milling about the plowed fields along the main
Grand Pre Rd. as I was leaving. The number of freshly tilled fields is
impressive, and has also drawn the attention of thousands of crows and
ravens as farmers take full advantage of the milder weather this past week.

~40 Scoters(looked like they were all BLSCs) off Evangeline Beach.

4 Buttercups in bloom.

Cheers,
Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts