[NatureNS] shocking earwigs

From: "David & Alison Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 21:46:50 -0400

Hi Steve & All,                Nov 19, 2009
    Being not nearly as tidy as an earwig I still have that earwig ramp
gathering dust in the basement.

    It consisted of two thin brassl plates; upper 10 mm wide & lower 13 mm
wide, transverse to a rigid, overhead, transparent plastic observation
housing/earwig passageway and spaced 1.5 mm apart on a lucite slab.

    With the slab slightly inclined, when an earwig was placed into the
lower end of the passageway it would walk up the slope and have 4-5 feet on
the lower plate before the first foot contacted the upper plate to close the
circuit.

    Being free to move forward, I think they just kept walking because the
4-5 hurting feet in back out-voted the one hurting foot in front. I don't
recall the details now but I likely turned the power off when they stopped
moving in an organized way and/or flopped over. They sure looked stunned to
me, as opposed to taking time out the think things over and learn something.

    I remember that animal behavior fad well underway in the 50's within
which scientists tabulated all responses by experimental animals as some
mechanical response to some stimulus and, while keeping a straight face,
concluded that all animal behavior consists of mechanical responses to
stimuli.
Yt, Dave